New Emerging Technologies

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

boomerbubba wrote:While I see that the original post from 2007 was a little far removed from that mission, I honestly think that most of the comments today in the resurrected thread were not. They discuss two functions: geocoding members' addresses for mapping, and viewing members' homes via Google imagery.
It was simply a reminder to keep the thread on topic :)
crobertson3

Re: New Emerging Technologies

Post by crobertson3 »

I recently completed a Master's in Instructional Design and Technology and chose for my thesis integration of an Intelligent Tutor (or agent, or digital librarian) to facilitate online/ mobile learning. I recently have been considering this in the realm of missionary work and learning in all aspects of the gospel. Basically a digital librarian would get to know you (build a profile based on your preferences, choices, rejections, responses to input), and the "companion" would assume a user-defined personality and voice (Avatar); rather than as demonstrated by Google Goggles (raw feed of unconnected information about your surroundings), you would have a digital Avatar that would engage you as you walk though life experiences each day. Periodically the digital companion would engage you about your surroundings (knows where you are based on your GPS in phone), and ask you questions: "Say, isn't that building like the one Professor Jones talked about in class yesterday? What was that architectural type?" Based on your input verbally, the companion would continue engagement or drop the topic. It could also introduce one or more of the many wonderful church videos, or talks, or analogies, or scriptures or lessons all digitally available now.

Investigators could be introduced to the downloadable app (smart phone, or computer) by the missionaries or members. Missionaries could also be tutored as they enter the Mission Field with discussion topics, content, scripture memorization, etc. Anyone in any Church calling could benefit from a "personalized" digital companion that would help them take their gospel knowledge and activity to the next level.

I am not a programmer, more of an instructional designer, that is looking to collaborate with others in the development of such an app that could integrate all of the Church digital resources in a unique way for all mobile/ digital users.

Please forward this to whomever you think might have an interest or be able to point the way forward.

Thank you,

Charlie

Return to “Emerging Technologies”