I see that this has been done before (topherreynoso), but I'm also extremely excited to post here and have a powerful and interesting tool to share. I've developed a prototype app for ward missions. I've used this extensively over the past couple of years and have found it to be extremely useful. It is now an intrinsic part of my stewardship and has demonstrated value in missionary coordination meetings and ward councils.
Some prominent features:
- Store and recall information related to those we teach
- Observe teaching trends with reports and graphs
- Collaborate with other ward missionaries – security managed on a user/ward level
- Mobile responsive – able to call or find directions via phone
- Able to store and print membership progress records
- Manage tasks, return & report on assignments
- Search and filter by name, focus 5, etc.
It is more than a digital area book and I have several ideas to evolve this app further and have a strong vision on how to progress its efficacy and UI. However I wanted to check the temperature here before taking next steps. Its underlying platform could benefit from leveraging the LDS ecosystem and it's clear that this belongs in the LDSTech toolset and not a standalone app.
I recently looked into LDSTech further and see that there are other development efforts (Vineyard? LDSTech contributions?). If there's interest then perhaps this could make its way into there, or with permission I would like to pilot it with any interested individuals.
I recognize this is disruptive technology and it also makes use of a church copyrighted form – for this reason I have not published the URL. If there is an issue or a church request to take this down via proper authority or not launch then I will of course respect that. I've already counseled with appropriate priesthood – my bishop high council member over missionary work and have receive a thumbs up to announce and post here. If there is an issue with the copyrighted form then I can always remove the copyrighted material and simply have the app print an overlay for existing printed forms.
My goals in this:
- Hasten the work
- Get a tool out there for ward missions to use. Either loop into LDS toolset or gain permission to maintain/pilot on my own.
- Gain permission to use the new/returning member progress record form (copyrighted)
- Enjoy some personal satisfaction of producing something to a v1 completion.
- Gain experience in creating/supporting a public-facing tool.
I'm posting here to start a positive discussion and hope I may be put in touch with someone to make next steps with. Screenshots below with demo information (not real contacts).
View from general dashboard/contact list
Activity in teaching record
Generated new and returning member progress record
Image from mobile device
I see that topherreynolds had a similar concept and it seemed to be received relatively well. If nobody objects, I will procure a domain with SSL and launch.