Best practices for Facebook

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
1968leocomeeatabite

Re: Best practices for Facebook

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

aebrown wrote:
jdlessley wrote:None of the annual history forms are used to get permission from Church members to use photos of the member or that include the member.
That is true, but there is one important note regarding nonmembers: There is a separate Annual History Consent Form specifically for nonmembers which includes this wording: "Although I am not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (“the Church”), I authorize the Church and its affiliated entities to collect, process, use, and transfer to other countries and/or legal entities my personal information and/or photograph as used in creating a local history of the Church (“History”)."

So as I see it, there is no requirement for permission to use photographs taken of members in the annual history. This is not a published history, after all. So the questions about posting on social media are certainly good questions, but you are not going to get much help from the annual history forms or documentation.
OK good to know!
Apparently we can use this form as an example. https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/c ... elease.pdf to create our own. I called the churches Intellectual property office and received excellent answers to my questions. We need to create this form to protect our selves. We can file it as we think should be done, but we need to remember that it is for the protection of the individual or individuals that are responsible for the group or site. Some wards use this form to move on to the ward's annual history.
1968leocomeeatabite

Okay so, once we get this form drafted and we get the permission approved and signed by those in the picture and the one that took the picture, do we file it in the clerks / Bishop's office? Or should the one that has the stewardship over this group put it in his files? Maybe it would be dependent on who are the administrators of the group? If the Admin. were the Bishopric including the clerks & exec. Sec. I suspect that in the bishops office would be the best. Then there is the fact of when the current admin. are released, getting it to the new admin. etc. Come to think of it maybe a policy of a 2 copies of the form one goes in the bishop's office the other goes in the files of the main one responsible for the group.

Well, anybody have comments or experience in this area?
1968leocomeeatabite

Updating our recently approved (by priesthood leaders) group. The guidelines say to not have the group name the same as a unit name. Therefore it was approved to have the name as "Activities and Friends of---Name of unit", but it seems to be to long. when posted it cuts the last part of the name off. I search Facebook help center but could not come up with a maximum character limit. Any help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The limit may depend on the screen size. I'd use what you can see with your current name as a clue as to the maximum length. Just note that it may not be a character limit, but a "length" limit in a proportional font.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

We have our unit name first, so if the full title gets cut off the group is still findable and recognizable. For example, "Provo Utah YSA 9th Stake News and Events."
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
1968leocomeeatabite

Great Thank you, I just barley figured that out.
1968leocomeeatabite

sbradshaw wrote:We have our unit name first, so if the full title gets cut off the group is still findable and recognizable. For example, "Provo Utah YSA 9th Stake News and Events."
How did you get your Name (of the group) on two lines? Does it have to do with yours being a page not a group?
Does Facebook have text editing capabilities for a post?
How do some get bold and larger texts? Would screen shots work?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Looking at a few other pages and groups, it looks like long page names wrap, while long group names are cut off. Our stake Facebook presence is a page. Facebook doesn't support text formatting – font, size, weight, style – in regular posts.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
1968leocomeeatabite

jdlessley wrote:
lajackson wrote:
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I seems to me that some photos will be desirable and especially for that years Ward History. :)
Photos of members used in the annual history require written permission on a form that must be submitted as a part of the history.
There are two forms needed when submitting photos for the annual history. The "Permission to Use Photographs" form is to be submitted and signed by the creator and owner of the photographs and audiovisual productions. It is a certification of ownership. It is not for the permission of the subjects (individuals in the photo) to use their likeness. The second form, the "Annual History Consent Form", is a form to get signed permission from nonmembers to use their personal information and/or photographs used in creating local histories. An additional document, the "Church Data Privacy Statement — Annual History", provides the legal privacy statement for the use of personal information and/or photographs. It is used in conjunction with the Annual History Consent Form.

None of the annual history forms are used to get permission from Church members to use photos of the member or that include the member.
Therefore trying to summarize and getting these forms all straight. On a ward basis:
1. Design your own form to get permission from individuals that are in a photo, (to post on your Facebook group or page) you can use this example to make your own form. https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/c ... elease.pdf
2. If anyone in the photo happens to be a non member and you are going to use the photo in your annual history then you use this forum https://history.lds.org/bc/chweb/conten ... t_form.pdf
3. You need the permission from the creator and owner of the photographs and audiovisual productions. It is a certification of ownership. https://history.lds.org/bc/chweb/conten ... n_form.pdf
4. An additional document, the https://history.lds.org/bc/chweb/conten ... y_form.pdf provides the legal privacy statement for the use of personal information and/or photographs. It is used in conjunction with the Annual History Consent Form.

I hope that I have this all correct! Check me, but I think that this in all in order. It does make a lot of forms to keep your Facebook or any social media presence going and also to use in an annual history.
1968leocomeeatabite

Re: Bishopric photo on Facebook group

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:[Moderator note: This question was originally part of this post, which was in a topic for a completely different issue. Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."]

Another question or feeling of your opinions.
We will be having an approved group by our bishopric shortly. My thought was to do a collage or probable two pictures joined together on the header or home of our ward group with a picture of our bishop and his two counselors and the temple in our district. I felt that this would be a great ICON or way to promote the beginning of our Facebook presence. As long as our Bishopric approves and we have there written permission to post the photos, I could not think of any reason that would prevent us from doing this. the only guidelines or rule that might come close is the following:
Examples of Inappropriate Uses
The following are some examples of inappropriate uses:
• In addition to his personal account, a bishop creates a separate social media profile for “Bishop Young.”
• Reason: A profile should never be named after or promote a specific individual.

By posting the bishopric picture up at the top or header of the group in my mind does not promote an individual. It does promote our Bishopric , but we as a ward look up to them, as we should. there is the fact that they hold a sacred office and it is to be regarded with dignity.

Do you think that by putting this collage of our bishopric and temple at the top of our group presence is a good ideas and does it support all the guidelines and purposes of stated good practices?
Hoping that someone my have an idea or have experienced this?

Return to “Emerging Technologies”