Best practices for Facebook

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
johnshaw

Re: Best practices for Facebook

Post by johnshaw »

Don't create a group - Just create a user that everyone can friend... Someone in the stake needs to monitor for the stake site (our ExecSec did that for our previous stake)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

So if I do not create a group, would I create multiple accounts, each having its own purpose? In other words, 1 account for me personally, another account for the ward, where only members of the ward and N.M. that are currently being fellow shipped? If I had two callings then maybe one for each calling? I am on the ward level, not the Stake level.

I guess a ward could have multiple social media accounts approved by the priesthood leadership, possibly one for each Organization and a main one for the ward?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

johnshaw wrote:Don't create a group - Just create a user that everyone can friend...
Having a Facebook profile (as opposed to a page or a group) that represents a business or organization, rather than a person, is against Facebook policy. Having multiple Facebook accounts is also against Facebook policy. Other social media platforms, like Twitter, for example, don't have the same limitations, but Facebook is probably the main site to focus on because of its large base of active users.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Contrary to johnshaw, I would do a group. If you lose passwords/access to the email used to set the account up, you loose the ability to use the profile effectively. My ward has 2 or 3 RS user profile pages that no one can access due to that problem. We can also show in the info box where we meet, who we approve and who to contact if they are not approved.

Now we only have the main fb page, but then again we are a YSA and it is nice to have everything consolidated. If we need to make an event for only RS or EQ we will hand select members.

I have seen some wards/stakes use pages instead, but privacy of information is a concern there if people post email, addresses, or numbers, anyone can see it.

We use our closed ward group like how sbradshaw described. For our YSA ward, myself (ward website admin), executive secretary, RSP, EQP, and activities are all admins on the group. The activities are there solely to make event invites and since we have over 250 members in the group you must be an admin to invite the whole group.

The rest of us admins check the ward directory for names of members who request to join. Under the direction of our bishop, we do not let people to join unless they live in our ward boundries as personal information is shared in the group. The region has a FB page and we direct members of other YSA wards there. If a YSA attends their family ward that is in one of our feeder stakes, they are welcomed in.

We had issues in our ward prior to the boundary crackdown (to be admitted in the group) of people asking for rides to our activities that lived over an hour away one direction. Since limiting access, we've actually increased the number of people physically joining our ward who live in the boundries. Ward hopping has decreased. People also feel more secure posting information.
1968leocomeeatabite

sbradshaw wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Don't create a group - Just create a user that everyone can friend...
Having a Facebook profile (as opposed to a page or a group) that represents a business or organization, rather than a person, is against Facebook policy. Having multiple Facebook accounts is also against Facebook policy. Other social media platforms, like Twitter, for example, don't have the same limitations, but Facebook is probably the main site to focus on because of its large base of active users.
So do I understand that I as a person I create a personal profile (In Facebook) and am a admin. for a group (my ward) (my family) (my club)? I set up or invite the people that I want in my group, and if they choose to join this group, then they are in the group? The organization that I set up is my ward and has the proper name and direction from the church guidelines etc. will have proper clearance from my Bishop etc. So according to Facebook policy I have my own account, and if I want to add a group representing an organization (Friends and events of My ward) then make all members of my ward,that has a facebook account, aware of this opportunity and then explain the purpose and give direction of what we hope to accomplish?

Do I also understand that I can post in the organization and also on my whatever? (Is it call page, timeline, or what)?

Or are you saying that I have a choice to make either my one chance to be on face book is me and only me personally? Or me creating this group or Organization?

Sorry this must seem so very basic, you are wondering where has this guy been, you are right. I really have not been on facebook! I do not understand it. :oops: :roll:
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Yes, each individual has their own personal profile that they manage.

You can post general items on both your wall/timeline (the terms are used interchangeably) and in a group. People can see what is on your wall based on privacy settings. Anyone in a group can see what you post there (if closed/private), or everyone can see it (public).

Once you have a personal profile, you can make a page or a group.

A Facebook group is where several people are able to come together and post on a common wall. There are family groups, common interest groups, clubs, wards, etc. Think of the wall as a giant bulletin board. Some groups are public and anyone can post or see what is posted. Others are closed. You know the bulletin board is there, but it is lock and you need a key to open the cover to see it. Some groups are private, the are similar to closed, but in addition to a key, the hidden location must be given to you as well.

A Facebook page is different in that only an administrator can post. Think of it more like a newspaper. People can still comment, but it is more like letters to the editor. (I hope this anaolgy works :| )

For our ward group, we say in the group intro that the group members can "feel free to share, activities,FHE, Service projects,any any other activities young single adults would love to share in." Most of the younger members have been in a group like this before and can help lead others who are new.

I hope this helps. If you know someone with a profile, ask them to show you around on theirs first. Chances are they in a group and can show your a page.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This post in another topic may be useful to see what kind of things could potentially be posted in a group that benefit the ward:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 17#p140901
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
1968leocomeeatabite

Face Book help states the following: The link :https://www.facebook.com/help/155275634539412
How are Pages different from groups? Which one should I create?

Pages allow real organizations, businesses, celebrities and brands to communicate broadly with people who like them. Pages may only be created and managed by official representatives.

Groups provide a space for people to communicate about shared interests. Groups can be created by anyone.

Other differences include:

Pages
Privacy: Page information and posts are public and generally available to everyone on Facebook.
Audience: Anyone can like a Page to connect with it and get News Feed updates. There is no limit to how many people can like a Page.
Communication: People who help manage a Page can publish posts as the Page. Page posts can appear in the News Feeds of people who like the Page. Page owners can also create customized apps for their Page and check Page Insights to track the Page's growth and activity.

Groups
Privacy: In addition to a public setting, more privacy settings are available for groups. In secret and closed groups, posts are only visible to group members.
Audience: You can adjust group privacy to require members to be approved or added by admins. When a group reaches a certain size, some features are limited. The most useful groups tend to be the ones you create with small groups of people you know.
Communication: In groups, members receive notifications by default when any member posts in the group. Group members can participate in chats, upload photos to shared albums, collaborate on group docs and invite members who are friends to group events.
Depending on your needs, you can create a Page or create a group.
1968leocomeeatabite

Here is an article on Face Book. It is from Face Book Blog. It was helpful to me.
Facebook Tips: What’s the Difference between a Facebook Page and Group?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 4706977130
1968leocomeeatabite

sbradshaw wrote:

My understanding is increasing, or was, until I read this http://www.lamarketing.net/real-differe ... l-profile/ I have made an assumption that a business or an organization is treated the same.
"I will clarify this right now; what you share on your business page will not show on your personal profile and what you share on your personal profile won’t be shown on your business page. They’re managed separately and your default will always be your personal account. If you go to your business profile to then post a status, Facebook will automatically know that you want to post AS your business."
Any Facebook user can create a Facebook page, but only official representatives can create and manage a page for an organisation, business, brand or public figure. Each user is able to manage multiple pages (for example, a freelance social media expert is able to manage multiple business pages for their clients all from one, original personal profile). The user that created the page can give permission for other users to be administrators and help manage the page.
If I understand this correctly and this quote is a good quote, an assigned stake member (clerk) could have his own profile plus create an authorized page for his Stake under the direction of the Stake President. This Stake sight would be public. Also an assigned clerk under the direction of the Bishop could create a group for his ward. this ward group would be private or secret according to what the clerk choose (private or secret). :?: can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Return to “Emerging Technologies”