Google Chromecast

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
generj

Google Chromecast

Post by generj »

Google Chromecast is a small HDMI dongle for TVs. It is relatively inexpensive at $35, and allows video or websites to be "cast" to a TV wirelessly.

One can stream Church videos on Youtube natively, or from the (non-native) LDS website.
I just used this technology to view several videos from the LDS site for FHE (due to our family's circumstances, we perform FHE on Sunday).

Non-native sites stream directly from the host computer/tablet. This results in increased network & CPU usage on the host device, and lower quality video. While the majority of my LDS website video streaming was a pleasant experience, there were a few hiccups where video froze or otherwise was degraded.

With this in mind, ideally the LDS website would allow the Chromecast device to stream the LDS videos natively. I forsee the Chromecast selling a large quantity within the next few months. If the Chromecast gains better access controls, it might be a good solution to audio-visual distribution within meetinghouses. Unfortunately, currently access to the network constitutes control over the Chromecast, meaning spiritual messages could be interrupted by anybody in the congregation with an Android.

It appears as if a small amount of Javascript added to LDS video pages would be sufficient to allow native streaming functionality. Please review technical implementation details.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Google Chromecast

Post by Mikerowaved »

There is currently a discussion of Chromecast in progress here...

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=17102
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Emerging Technologies”