Windows 10 update

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows 10 update

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:But if you know for certain the computer is more than 5 years old,
The church has been using Dell computers for some time. Those have a "build date" on the service tag. It's not labeled as such, but it's a number in the format of yyyymmdd.

I've had a ward call me up about their "ancient computer" and when I asked them to look at the tag, found out they were only 4 years old. I've got a couple of Win7 computers due for replacement next year. They run, but they're not real spunky - the measure most people use to gauge the age of the computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote:
dburrell wrote:Our current computer boots, and runs MLS, so its working, which means, we will never see it updated.
That's possible. On the other hand sometimes the key is to ask them to include it in next year's budget. If you can find out when they have to submit their budget and then make the request around that time, you may be more likely to actually get it into the budget for next year.
I recall years ago when I was an STS that our FM Group needed input for the following calendar/budget year by 15 April because they had to have their input in by end of May. That meant that if our input for replacement computers didn't get in by 15 April then we had to make sure FM was reminded for the next cycle and it took over 21 months to get the replacements from our initial request.

We did get some replaced under the FM emergency budget request. So the replacement for those computers only took nine months.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

What happened to all that money available for the new Lenovo Tiny computer for clerks? Did this FM not get that message?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:What happened to all that money available for the new Lenovo Tiny computer for clerks? Did this FM not get that message?
Wasn't that for clerks still running XP? This one is on Win7, so it wouldn't qualify.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
drepouille wrote:What happened to all that money available for the new Lenovo Tiny computer for clerks? Did this FM not get that message?
Wasn't that for clerks still running XP? This one is on Win7, so it wouldn't qualify.
Correct. That's why we never loaded to Win7 on our old XP machines.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
Correct. That's why we never loaded to Win7 on our old XP machines.
That's why if the OP gave us the make and model, we could end the speculation!

Return to “Emerging Technologies”