Cannot view all aspects of LDS.ORG regardless of browser

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I notice some elements seem to be pulled from ldscdn.org. I wonder if there's a DNS problem or security software that blocking access to that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bishoptaylor

Post by bishoptaylor »

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. I downloaded latest Adobe Flash, updated java, cleared cache and all setting pertaining to LDS.ORG and still the same. I also did a "View Page Source", found the fonts and made sure they were installed (which they were). As an example, on the home page of LDS.ORG, I can see "Prophets and Apostles Speak today" but there is nothing visible under that heading. I sense that it probably may have something to do with the fonts not displaying properly but I checked all the setting on my browser and the java script settings and they all appear to be standard settings. Now it has become of issue of "I want to lick this thing just to get the satisfaction of doing so". Still looking for suggestions.
bishoptaylor

Post by bishoptaylor »

I stopped my antivirus stuff and that did not help. Don't know how to check for DNS problem.
bishoptaylor

Post by bishoptaylor »

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. I downloaded latest Adobe Flash, updated java, cleared cache and all setting pertaining to LDS.ORG and still the same. I also did a "View Page Source", found the fonts and made sure they were installed (which they were). As an example, on the home page of LDS.ORG, I can see "Prophets and Apostles Speak today" but there is nothing visible under that heading. I sense that it probably may have something to do with the fonts not displaying properly but I checked all the setting on my browser and the java script settings and they all appear to be standard settings. Now it has become of issue of "I want to lick this thing just to get the satisfaction of doing so". Still looking for suggestions.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

IF you are using ie9. there is an advanced setting to turn OFF the GPU rendering and go back to software rendering. I have seen some websites that need to have the GPU rendering turned OFF to display properly. I don't think this is your problem but you might give it a try.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When you mouse over the expected location for the logon link and the languages link, even though they are not visible, do you get any indication the links are there (the mouse pointer changes from an arrow to a finger pointing hand)? It appears that everything that is missing is related to links.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bishoptaylor

Post by bishoptaylor »

jdlessley wrote:When you mouse over the expected location for the logon link and the languages link, even though they are not visible, do you get any indication the links are there (the mouse pointer changes from an arrow to a finger pointing hand)? It appears that everything that is missing is related to links.

Interesting - when I move the mouse over where I think text should be (sign in or other places for example), the pointer turns to a hand. Still cannot see the text but it knows something is there. Same problem with mormon.org but NOT with providentliving.org. So there is something similar with LDS.ORG and MORMON.ORG that causes the problem but not with providentliving.org.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

bishoptaylor, Please try going to http://www.fonttester.com/ and test each of the fonts in use on the LDS.ORG main page.
Arial, Georgia, Georgia Italic, Lucida Sans Regular, Lucida Sans Unicode, Palatino Linotype.

What happens when you try "Lucida Sans Unicode" for instance?
bishoptaylor

Post by bishoptaylor »

rontilby wrote:bishoptaylor, Please try going to http://www.fonttester.com/ and test each of the fonts in use on the LDS.ORG main page.
Arial, Georgia, Georgia Italic, Lucida Sans Regular, Lucida Sans Unicode, Palatino Linotype.

What happens when you try "Lucida Sans Unicode" for instance?
That's it!!!! Lucida Sans Unicode does not display using fonttester.com. I used Control Panel->Fonts and tried to install that font but it said it was already installed. Now what? Thanks.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

bishop, did you try to remove the font and add it back in? The other things that I find a problem is if your computer is running something in the background and not giving JAVA 100% attention, it will be slow. I have had to shutdown stuff like facebook and other items that use JAVA or even flash to get it to work. It is like you get too many JAVA application open then JAVA can't handle it all and won't display what it needs to. I have an application at the office and it is JAVA and when I get too many windows open, it won't display anymore windows and it looks like it hangs and takes forever to shut down, even when I'm trying to get it to shut down.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Main Church Website”