How can I send an e-mail to all YM or YW ward leaders in a stake?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kristaanncook wrote:This suggests that the Church wants information going out only at certain levels and under priesthood authority. Most of these groups seem to be bypassing this and setting up their own private email lists.
The Leader and Clerk Resources tools are continuously being developed. We have information that auxiliary and organization leaders access is under development. Any assumption that what currently is provided is an indication of restriction or limitation is not valid. The email group lists are a convenience. Any leader can use the Directory to compose any custom email list to suit their calling needs.
kristaanncook wrote:Am I wrong in thinking the Church is setting up its policy and procedures by allowing only leaders it wants to email groups to be allowed to do so?
The group email lists provided in Leader and Clerk Resources is provided as a convenience so that leaders do not have to build commonly needed email lists. This does not restrict them from creating any other lists they feel then need.
kristaanncook wrote:Does the Church make its email policies explicit anywhere?
The only policies with regard to email addresses I can find is in Handbook 2, 21.1.15.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kristaanncook

privacy, confidentiality and spamming laws

Post by kristaanncook »

I would think that any private lists compiled by individuals would run the risk of running afoul of privacy, confidentiality and spamming laws. I wouldn't want to risk it.

The Church's tools have the necessary legal notice tacked on the end of the emails telling people how they can digitally remove themselves as required by law.

Private email lists wouldn't have that. I'll stick with the Church's tools. They are safe.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kristaanncook wrote:I would think that any private lists compiled by individuals would run the risk of running afoul of privacy, confidentiality and spamming laws. I wouldn't want to risk it.
Can't say as I agree with that interpretation.

kristaanncook wrote:The Church's tools have the necessary legal notice tacked on the end of the emails telling people how they can digitally remove themselves as required by law.

Private email lists wouldn't have that.
Not if you use the directory. It uses your private email client so there's really no difference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kristaanncook

Post by kristaanncook »

I'll stick to having my emails to church members sent out under priesthood authority, through the Church's tools.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kristaanncook wrote:I'll stick to having my emails to church members sent out under priesthood authority, through the Church's tools.
Be aware that limiting your email procedures to only use "Send a Message" has limitations, not only in who can send the messages, but also to whom the messages can be sent. For example, the scenario you mentioned in your first post in this thread talked about sending a message to "YM/YW leaders in each ward/branch"; that is simply not possible at this point, no matter who is sending the message.

So each stake, ward, and individual is certainly welcome to make their own decisions on how this is done. But such decisions should be made with an understanding of the consequences of that decision.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gyoungberg

Post by gyoungberg »

Has it really been almost 2 years since I started this thread? I'm glad it's found a little new life. It would be extremely helpful for a member of the Stake YW presidency, for example, to be able to broadcast an e-mail to all of the ward YW presidents, or Bishops & YW Presidents, or Bishops, YW Presidents and councilors, or for that matter to everyone subscribed to the Stake YW calendar.

This kind of functionality would help drive a renewed importance to keeping callings updated in MLS, and keeping personal information (especially e-mail addresses) current on LDS.org. This also takes the responsibility off of the shoulders of the stake leaders of maintaining big e-mail lists and puts it back on the ward organizations to keep the MLS information updated. I don't see how privacy is the issue, because we know these lists exist all over the place and are being used daily and are being used improperly (not using Bcc to hide e-mails from each other). Privacy would do nothing but improve with a proper implementation of e-mail groups on lds.org.

Just my opinion.
kristaanncook

Post by kristaanncook »

I'm perfectly aware of consequences of decision making.

Return to “Main Church Website”