Flash player full screen choppy when watching general conference

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rbeede

Flash player full screen choppy when watching general conference

Post by rbeede »

I have a computer (the only one in our house with this problem) that always suffers from choppy video (but no audio problem) when watching general conference full screen with the flash player.

This problem isn't isolated to general conference. Sites like hulu.com also have this problem when viewing full screen video. Youtube however does not.

It seemed to start about a year ago when Adobe Flash 10 came out. My computer worked just fine with full-screen video until I installed that version.

I did some diagnosis by plugging in a second monitor to have taskmanager open while running the video full screen.

I noticed that about every 10 minutes both cores would hit 100% which corresponded to the choppy video. The audio never cuts out. After a few seconds the video goes back to normal.

I'm guessing some thread/code segment in either Flash or the actual flash video player software is causing some spike in CPU activity.

Since my motherboard has integrated graphics one of the core has to do some work (it usually sits around 67%) when in full screen mode.

I have tested lots of other full screen things like video games with no issues of spiked cpu or choppiness.

My specs:

ASUS M3A78EMI HDMI motherboard (with ATI HD3200 integrated graphics)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (dual core 3.0ghz)
8GB ram
Two 750GB SATA 3.0gbps 7200rpm drives in raid stripe

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium (all patches applied)
Google Chrome 10.0.648.204 (tried latest IE8 as well, no luck)
Adobe Flash 10,2,154,25 (latest)

I tried:
Reinstalling latest video drives (both ATI and ASUS)
Reinstalling Flash
Reinstalling Chrome
Reinstalling Windows

Downgrading to Flash 9 doesn't seem like much of an option since some sites want the latest.

I've also checked my system and cpu temperatures which all stay well below the max. I've also played with the Flash settings for hardware acceleration and what not.

Anyone else have a similar issue and solve it without buying a new computer? I don't have any room left for a graphics card add-on nor should I really need it.

I haven't tested Linux yet though.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Same issue exists in Linux with Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, Google Chrome (or Firefox), and latest Flash. CPU spikes at 100% and video gets choppy.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rbeede wrote:Same issue exists in Linux with Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, Google Chrome (or Firefox), and latest Flash. CPU spikes at 100% and video gets choppy.
A similar issue was discussed here.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Unfortunately none of the ideas in that thread helped.

Looking on the web it seems to be an issue with the Flash software itself. I suppose that hardware requirements for Flash 10 now require a computer not older than 3 years or so.
lloyd.lee

Re: Flash player full screen choppy when watching general co

Post by lloyd.lee »

Isn't there a way for the Church to use another medium, like stream through quicktime instead?
ivanobom

Post by ivanobom »

When watching the General Conference from web browser (Flash plugin), I get frequent choppy video (but no audio problem). I've noticed that Flash Plugin was very often hitting 100% CPU.

In other hand, watching it using an iPhone 4S sharing the screen via Air Play to my AppleTV, there was no glitch at all. Since the CPU of my smartphone is far bellow my desktop's, and it doesn't uses Flash, its pretty sure that the guilty is the Flash plugin.

Why the desktop version of General Conference can't be the same one that runs on the smartphones, which is far efficent than Flash's version? Or At least, let the final users to choose which player version they want to use.

Thanks,
Ivan
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

rbeede wrote:I have a computer (the only one in our house with this problem) that always suffers from choppy video (but no audio problem) when watching general conference full screen with the flash player. [...] Youtube however does not.
It's after conference now, but General Conference was also streamed on YouTube. It doesn't exactly solve the problem, but if the problem persists next conference, you can watch it via YouTube...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:General Conference was also streamed on YouTube. It doesn't exactly solve the problem, but if the problem persists next conference, you can watch it via YouTube...
As long as you're not trying to do that at church, since they bock YouTube.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ivanobom

Post by ivanobom »

I've tried watching via YouTube, but I didn't find how to reproduce it in Portuguese to watch it with my family. :-(
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ivanobom wrote:I've tried watching via YouTube, but I didn't find how to reproduce it in Portuguese to watch it with my family. :-(
The How to View Live page says that conference on YouTube is available in Portuguese, but it doesn't give explicit instructions on how to do it.

Return to “Main Church Website”