Priesthood Session Audio/Video

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

Techgy wrote:In case anyone isn't aware of this, the church distribution center (ldscatalog.com) makes available professionally done DVD's of the conference sessions, including the priesthood session. These come out approximately 6 weeks after the conference. They're indexed so that you can select a specific talk, listen to entire conference, or just listen to the music without the talks.
I'll add my thoughts to this, as I have wondered.... I understand, and am all about gathering the body of the priesthood as much as possible (in Stakes) to watch the broadcast. This is how it should be.

My question then has to do with the above statement by Techgy... I, too, have been purchasing the DVD's of conference for the past couple of years, and yes, they do include the Priesthood Session. So, if PH session is available in this format, and also available in print, I am curious as to why the audio is then not made available for download? Perhaps even when the DVD's are made available six weeks after conference?

Can anyone recommend a utility that will take the audio from a DVD and put it in mp3 format?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

njcant1 wrote:Can anyone recommend a utility that will take the audio from a DVD and put it in mp3 format?

They are readily available, but it would probably be better if they were not mentioned here. While there are legitimate needs for such a utility, it is often difficult to sort out the copyright rules, among others, that would govern the use of the utility.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

lajackson wrote:They are readily available, but it would probably be better if they were not mentioned here. While there are legitimate needs for such a utility, it is often difficult to sort out the copyright rules, among others, that would govern the use of the utility.
Very true. I appreciate your insight. I would never want to give the impression that I would be breaking copyright laws. Thanks! :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:They are readily available, but it would probably be better if they were not mentioned here. While there are legitimate needs for such a utility, it is often difficult to sort out the copyright rules, among others, that would govern the use of the utility.
Uhhh, as long as this is for personal use and the audio itself wasn't posted anywhere, how would copyright laws enter into this?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Uhhh, as long as this is for personal use and the audio itself wasn't posted anywhere, how would copyright laws enter into this?

If you were the owner of the CD or DVD, this would be a case of copyright violation that would not normally raise any concern, as long as you don't give the copy away or lend it to anyone. Still, under current copyright laws, you have infringed on the copyright holder's rights by making the copy.

By copying something and then only using it for personal use, you have greatly reduced and almost eliminated the damages to the copyright holder, and because of this, you have limited the likelihood that the copyright holder will come after you for damages.

Making copies for personal use does not qualify as "fair use" under the most recent copyright laws enacted in the late 1990s.

In the interest of full disclosure: I am not a lawyer. I have made copies of items I own for my personal use only. I have decided the risk is worth it. I do not let others have copies of my copies.

I would put mp3s of conference talks on an iPod (if I had one) and listen to them. And I would probably erase them when the next set came along.

None of this, of course, helps us get the audio from general priesthood meeting any quicker. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If you were the owner of the CD or DVD, this would be a case of copyright violation that would not normally raise any concern, as long as you don't give the copy away or lend it to anyone. Still, under current copyright laws, you have infringed on the copyright holder's rights by making the copy.

By copying something and then only using it for personal use, you have greatly reduced and almost eliminated the damages to the copyright holder, and because of this, you have limited the likelihood that the copyright holder will come after you for damages.
I will leave it to the reader to wade though the Audio Home Recording Act and decide for themselves. It certainly seems like what's desired (copying DVD to MP3) falls within the intent while the lawyers may have to argue the letter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JerryWilliams

Post by JerryWilliams »

I looked at software to rip the DVD audio to mp3, but it seems like more work that it was worth.
On the DVD the audio isn't in separatefiles like on the CD.
I just bought the Audio CD's and ripped the priesthood session with itunes.
Another reason that I would like just a plain mp3 CD of Conference and the previous YW or RS.
The exact same thing that you get on the CD's or DVD.
Everything on 1 CD for like $1 or $2, save me money and time.
bytheway-p40

Post by bytheway-p40 »

I really wish they would put priesthood online, even if they delay it longer than the the other mp3s. The fact that they are putting the music up PROVES there's no technical reason why they couldn't put them up immediately.

Anyway, I think I've stumbled on the answer: the AUDIO is sacred.

1) The text is published online, so we can read it
2) The video is present in the ASL versions
so 3) that only leaves the audio as the piece that can't be distributed.

Drives me crazy, since the session is provided on cd or dvd if you purchase them, so by not putting them online there is no real restriction of availability, just ease of getting the content.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bytheway wrote:I think I've stumbled on the answer: . . .

by not putting them online there is no real restriction of availability, just ease of getting the content.
This is just my opinion, but I think the latter is more likely the reason--the ease of getting the content. With priesthood responsibility comes additional obligation. Yes, the only way to hear general priesthood meeting when it happens is to be "present" at the meeting, which in our day includes attending at one of the authorized broadcast points of the meeting.

In my younger days, it meant riding with my father for over an hour and sitting in a chapel listening on a tin-can sounding phone line attached to the PA system. Still, when it worked, I got to hear the voices of prophets, seers, and revelators in a setting with other men who had been called and ordained as I had been.

Those memories have stayed with me over all these years. My experience and understanding of the priesthood is different because of that. It took extra effort to participate. It was not just an ordinary meeting. It was special. That growing up experience has always meant something to me and causes me now, even as I think about it, to remember what a special privilege it is to be entrusted with that authority.

I am aware of only one time when general priesthood meeting was broadcast to the general public. The prophet felt that the message was important enough, so they did. At the other end of the spectrum, I listened to an apostle give a talk at one of those priesthood meetings that was never printed in the Ensign. It was as if the talk were never given, as far as the general membership is concerned.

But, it was. And it is available in print. And bishops use it all the time in their work with Young Men. This would never have been possible if the meeting had been open to the general public.

Yes, it takes a little extra effort. Personally, I believe that is part of the reason they do it the way they do. Just my opinion, of course.
juanv-p40

Post by juanv-p40 »

The greatest concern I have about the priesthood not being posted in mp3 is for our visually impaired brethren.

They faithfully attend priesthood meeting at conference, but when we are able to read all the conference talks online, they only can listen to the non-priesthood conference talks.

I wonder if someone in Church accessibility can address this.

Return to “Main Church Website”