Serving out of Unit - how to see both units

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
robertjamesgardner

Serving out of Unit - how to see both units

Post by robertjamesgardner »

I am serving in a student ward bishopric outside of my home unit. In the new stake and ward websites, how do I switch from viewing my home stake and ward info to that of the stake and ward where I am serving? (And back again?)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Unless something has changed, I don't think you can. The new directory/calendar is still under development.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sghall

Post by sghall »

I haven't checked with him lately, but the 2nd Counselor of the bishopric in our stake YSA ward did have access to both his home ward and the YSA ward as well when we had him register for lds.org. But maybe it is a lot easier in his case, since it is still within the same stake.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sghall wrote:I haven't checked with him lately, but the 2nd Counselor of the bishopric in our stake YSA ward did have access to both his home ward and the YSA ward as well when we had him register for lds.org. But maybe it is a lot easier in his case, since it is still within the same stake.
Every member can see all the units in his or her stake in the classic stake and ward websites and in the new directory. The challenge for members who serve in another stake with the new directory is that they can't see he ward they serving in (but I hear that this capability is under development).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

When my records were mistakenly transferred to a YSA ward a couple of weeks ago, my first indicator that something had happened was the new directory. When I logged on, I could choose to look at /either/ the YSA ward /or/ my family ward's directory - each of those units are in different stakes. Instead of simple text where the stake name normally is, there was another drop down (as for the ward drop down) so that I could switch between the two stakes.

The mistake with my records has since been cleared up and I only see my family ward's info, but I was excited to see that the mechanisms are in place for viewing information in more than one stake. So, this feature is definitely in development. I don't know when everyone will get to see these improvements, but it's exciting.
jgthomas

Post by jgthomas »

I serve in a YSA ward outside my home stake also. I have been able to see both my home ward and stake, and the ward and stake of the YSA ward for several months now. (I have been added to MLS as an out of unit member of the YSA ward.)
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

Our ward Senior Couple Missionaries in our YSA ward who are from another stake cannot see the YSA ward website and do not show up in the YSA directory. Bishopric members can see both their home and YSA sites.

But none of the Bishopric Members or missionaries show up in the directory as members unless I list leaders at the top of the directory then they are there.
They did under classic but not under the new version.

HELP
Allan_F

Post by Allan_F »

The administrator of your stake web site can take care of this. After the Couple Missionaries are added to your YSA MSL as out of unit members, the stake administrator can go to lds.org/tools/classic. He can then go to the stake home page where he selects the Administrator Options tab on the bottom left. A new window should open with a green panel on the left. Second from the bottom is Non-resident Members. He will need the members record number and their confirmation date. You enter this information in, select the YSA ward they are assigned to and click that this is all approved by the stake president. Once you click enter the couple missionary will find that their default ward when accessing the directory from lds.org is now their YSA ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Allan_F wrote:The administrator of your stake web site can take care of this. After the Couple Missionaries are added to your YSA MSL as out of unit members, the stake administrator can go to lds.org/tools/classic. He can then go to the stake home page where he selects the Administrator Options tab on the bottom left. A new window should open with a green panel on the left. Second from the bottom is Non-resident Members. He will need the members record number and their confirmation date. You enter this information in, select the YSA ward they are assigned to and click that this is all approved by the stake president. Once you click enter the couple missionary will find that their default ward when accessing the directory from lds.org is now their YSA ward.

That works for Classic, but not for "new".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Allan_F

Post by Allan_F »

It worked for me. My YSA ward is now my default ward in both the "new" and classic versions. It has also worked for the other out of unit members in our stake that have received this update.

Return to “Main Church Website”