Meetinghouse Locator issues

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
james_francisco

Meetinghouse Locator issues

Post by james_francisco »

I have noticed that the meetinghouse locator is not especially accurate in areas where there is a lot of growth. This is an issue when ward clerks are trying to forward membership records. Our ward has at least one or two records each month sent to us where the family does not even live in our ward boundaries. What is happening in our area is that most of the time, entering an address gets a list of the nearest several buildings. What I see happening is the clerk is getting that list, picking a building that looks close to the members new address and sending the record there. Would it be possible to use the addresses and geo codes in the MLS data structures to create a cross check to the commercial data that the application seems to be using?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

This and similar topics have been discussed in (multiple?) other threads earlier in the year (2007). There are reportedly efforts being made to move the Church meetinghouse mapping and such to a platform that is more accurate than Mapquest, but it apparently hasn't happened yet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

James_Francisco wrote:What I see happening is the clerk is getting that list, picking a building that looks close to the members new address and sending the record there.
The unit clerk shouldn't be sending records directly to other units if they don't know for sure. Leave the unit blank and let CHQ figure it out.

If CHQ doesn't know, that that suggests there are issues in that they don't understand the unit's boundaries, or their geocode information isn't up to date and it's "punting" based on the city/state. The stake probably needs to make a phone call to CHQ and see what can be worked out.

Return to “Main Church Website”