Font rendering problems in firefox on new.lds.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
darcher-p40

Post by darcher-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Have you checked your ClearType settings? Those are available on Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Effects, if I remember right. Make sure you are using ClearType to smooth edges of screen fonts.
You sir, are a genius. And that's why I love the community knowledge effect of the internet. Changing my ClearType settings did the trick. Now why would that have been disabled? Is that the default WinXP setting or just something HP Compaq (my work computer's manufacturer) does on their own? Also, what is the difference between ClearType and Standard font smoothing (the two options I have under Display-->Appearance-->Effects)?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

darcher wrote:Now why would that have been disabled? Is that the default WinXP setting or just something HP Compaq (my work computer's manufacturer) does on their own?
Microsoft explains in their Clear Type: frequently asked questions that clear type is turned on by default. I don't know how it happens but I have found many systems with the setting at Standard. If for any reason you change your video color setting below 256 colors it will change the smoothing to Standard.
darcher wrote:Also, what is the difference between ClearType and Standard font smoothing (the two options I have under Display-->Appearance-->Effects)?
The FAQ I mentioned above explains it. There are many web sites that explain this in some detail. The first one I came across has a good explanation of font smoothing.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
darcher-p40

Post by darcher-p40 »

Yeah, I was reading about that. Your first link only applies to Vista (and Win7 I presume). From what I read, the default smoothing for XP should be Standard. So I'm still not sure why it was disabled entirely on my machine. And the reason it looked better in IE is that IE7 forward uses ClearType regardless of the OS setting.
SorensonMi
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by SorensonMi »

Hi - I'm the lead developer for new.lds.org and I just wanted to give a quick update on the font issue. We are seeing some problems with fonts in different browsers, independent of the clearType issue. We are currently working on a solution and should have something implemented quite soon. Please let us know if you see any other issues!

thanks!
Mindie

Return to “Main Church Website”