Passwords on LDS account?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Passwords on LDS account?

Post by kisaac »

Two observations on LDS Account passwords as we move to making more of our data available via the web, such as beta.lds.org (new.lds.org.)

1) I wish that if CAPS LOCK were on, it would tell me "Your CAPS LOCK is on, and passwords are case sensitive. You may need to turn it off."

2) How safe are they?
I know a year ago that a ward leaders password was also his first name, because I had to help him when he couldn't log in.

Does LDS account still let this happen, or check that a requested password is not the user name or given name?

I know other sites I visit have more stringent password requirements than LDS Account, requiring more characters or a wider combination of letters, numbers and characters. Some have a "password strength meter" that shows the relative strength or weakness of a new chosen password.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

kisaac wrote:1) I wish that if CAPS LOCK were on, it would tell me "Your CAPS LOCK is on, and passwords are case sensitive. You may need to turn it off."
I have never seen any website do this, ever. Have you? Though it appears to be possible to detect, although very clunky, and only after a key is pressed: http://dougalmatthews.com/articles/2008 ... caps-lock/

Return to “Main Church Website”