beta.mormon.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the LDS.org website.
zevlag
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Utah

beta.mormon.org

Postby zevlag » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:09 pm

A large annoyance that currently exists on mormon.org, and now also in the beta.mormon.org has to do with "Worship With Us" page.

Particularly when you choose Australia as the country. Australia, as many commonwealth countries reuses city/town names in every state/metropolitan area. So if I choose "Fairfield" as my city, expecting to get a chapel in Fairfield(metropolitan area of Melbourne) in the State of Victoria, I don't. I get Fairfield(Sydney), New South Wales.

So my recommendation is this, add a state drop down for Australia.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:06 am

Zevlag wrote:A large annoyance that currently exists on mormon.org, and now also in the beta.mormon.org has to do with "Worship With Us" page.

Particularly when you choose Australia as the country. Australia, as many commonwealth countries reuses city/town names in every state/metropolitan area. So if I choose "Fairfield" as my city, expecting to get a chapel in Fairfield(metropolitan area of Melbourne) in the State of Victoria, I don't. I get Fairfield(Sydney), New South Wales.

So my recommendation is this, add a state drop down for Australia.

I'll pass your feedback along to the folks who maintain the web site.

Tom

scion-p40
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:56 pm

search by language or ward type

Postby scion-p40 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:00 am

It would be very helpful to have a search by Tongan, Spanish, deaf (ASL or whatever is appropriate for a given country), YSA, SA, and English speaking that can be searched by county. As it stands, the search is city by city. For someone moving to the Los Angeles/Orange County area of Southern California, that search is approximately 150-180 incorporated and unincorporated cities. A person must also know the names of each of those cities. Another alternative would be to be able to pick a city, zip code, or area code and search that area. The zip code search could be modified to be a xx mile radius. Furthermore, being able to create a list of wards for a specific language or unique groups served would be very helpful.

Keep in mind that Mormon.org is to help non-members. This site should make it easy for them to locate useful information.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Meeting House Locator

Postby WelchTC » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:22 am

The problems you are mentioning are with the Meeting House Locator service we have. This product is scheduled to be rewritten to fix the bugs you are mentioning. I don't have a time frame on when this will be done.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

bhall
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:55 pm

beta.mormon.org is awesome!

Postby bhall » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:29 am

I love the new beta.mormon.org site! I usually write http://www.mormon.org on pass-along cards and tell people they can visit. When will the beta site go live?

:)

scion-p40
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Postby scion-p40 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:12 pm

tomw wrote:The problems you are mentioning are with the Meeting House Locator service we have. This product is scheduled to be rewritten to fix the bugs you are mentioning. I don't have a time frame on when this will be done.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom


Wonderful! :D Please note that being able to search for English speaking wards in the US is just as needed as Spanish, Laotian, or any other language. As someone with 5 years of early morning seminary under my belt (nearly--come June!) and another 9 to go, living near a chapel is vital. Some buildings have no English speaking wards here, so one must plan carefully.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20758
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:29 pm

I agree that capability should be worked into the meeting house locater.

As for the US, you can use the search for a LUWS to help your search. Input "YSA", "Single Adult", or the language of interest to see units available.

scion-p40
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Postby scion-p40 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:47 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I agree that capability should be worked into the meeting house locater.

As for the US, you can use the search for a LUWS to help your search. Input "YSA", "Single Adult", or the language of interest to see units available.


What does "use the search for a LUWS" mean?
Thank you.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20758
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:49 pm

scion wrote:What does "use the search for a LUWS" mean?
Thank you.


Search for the Local Unit Website. Go to https://secure.lds.org/units and click on search. Since these things are part of the unit's name, you should be able to find them there. As I said, this is mostly for the U.S. Not all units have a website, but most do.

scion-p40
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Postby scion-p40 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:23 am

RussellHltn wrote:I agree that capability should be worked into the meeting house locater.

As for the US, you can use the search for a LUWS to help your search. Input "YSA", "Single Adult", or the language of interest to see units available.


and a subsequent quote:
Search for the Local Unit Website. Go to https://secure.lds.org/units and click on search. Since these things are part of the unit's name, you should be able to find them there. As I said, this is mostly for the U.S. Not all units have a website, but most do.


Thank ou for the follow-up explanations. When I went directly to the local unit website at the address above, I did not see a search function. Upon login, I was immediately sent to my ward website. (Nice touch, BTW. It was irritating to have to fumble through multiple screens each time I wanted to see if anything made it to the calendar yet.) However, that site doesn't have a search function either. When I got out of my ward website, I was back at LDS.org, which does not search on language or other groups. A city-by-city or zipcode-by-zipcode search seems to be required.


Return to “LDS.org Website”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest