Videos on lds.org home page

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Techgy wrote:Addthis.com is apparently used by the church on lds.org to provide support for the video buttons, etc. You don't need it in youtube.com

I mention it because, if you're using FF (and it appears that you are), and you also use the "NoScript" addon, it will block items such as "addthis.com" unless you give it permission.

If you're not using noscript then you shouldn't have any problems. Sorry I wasn't clear before. Are you running any firewall software that might be blocking this site?
I am not using the NoScript addon (although I am considering adding it, after what I read MS did to FF this year).

I do not know where to look to see if addthis.com is blocked. I have not blocked it.

I have looked in my BlueCoat settings and do not see anything blocked there.

I changed a MacroMedia Flash setting at the Adobe site and now the Share button shows up.

I am running the Windows firewall, and do not recall having specifically blocked it there, but I do not know how to see what is or is not blocked.

Yes, I am using FF 3.5.3.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:.... I changed a MacroMedia Flash setting at the Adobe site and now the Share button shows up..
Since it works properly in IE8, it has to be a FF issue.
It sounds like it's a configuration setting on flash preferences. Is it working?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Techgy wrote:Since it works properly in IE8, it has to be a FF issue.
It sounds like it's a configuration setting on flash preferences. Is it working?
It does not work properly in IE6 for me, so I doubt it is a FF issue. I suspect something is blocked somewhere.

Other flash sites seem to work. As I mentioned, I changed a MacroMedia (Flash) setting. The site was locked out from storing flash data and I undid that. This seems to have caused the Share button to appear. I can also tell that the three little video windows below the main one are trying to poke their way through, as well.

I shut off ActiveX using the MS patch. Could that be affecting it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I have looked in my BlueCoat settings and do not see anything blocked there.

Did you actually look at the log for BlueCoat? BlueCoat blocks whole categories of sites, depending on your filtering level. From everything you've described, my guess is that BlueCoat is most likely the thing that is doing the blocking.

In fact, I know that a couple of months ago it started blocking YouTube for the default security level. The "moderate" level allows YouTube, but of course you have to make your decision about what you allow. Even if you stick with the default level, you can add YouTube (and perhaps AddThis and who knows what else) to the Always Allow list.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:It does not work properly in IE6 for me, so I doubt it is a FF issue. I suspect something is blocked somewhere.

Other flash sites seem to work. As I mentioned, I changed a MacroMedia (Flash) setting. The site was locked out from storing flash data and I undid that. This seems to have caused the Share button to appear. I can also tell that the three little video windows below the main one are trying to poke their way through, as well.

I shut off ActiveX using the MS patch. Could that be affecting it?
Have you tried to do an update for Adobe's flash player? I'm using v10 and it's working fine. Since I cannot duplicate the problem you're seeing, it's difficult to try and troubleshoot it from here.

Do you have any browser that does work?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Techgy wrote:Have you tried to do an update for Adobe's flash player? I'm using v10 and it's working fine.
Latest and greatest.
Alan_Brown wrote:From everything you've described, my guess is that BlueCoat is most likely the thing that is doing the blocking.
Bingo. When I totally unrestrict it, it works. So that is what is doing it.

The challenge now is to restrict the category again and allow YouTube.com PLUS whatever else I need that is keeping it from working properly. It appears to be something besides AddThis that is also needed.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Main Church Website”