Videos on lds.org home page

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Videos on lds.org home page

Post by lajackson »

Tyler wrote:It was related to the sharing feature added to the videos we have on the home page.

There are videos on the home page? I did not know that. Never seen them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:There are videos on the home page? I did not know that. Never seen them.
On the home page www.lds.org, in the center panel, the fourth item down is now "Choose This Day"; below the introductory paragraph is an embedded YouTube video. Below the video is a selector for more videos. The videos rotate periodically so that the content stays fresh.

If you're not seeing it, my guess is that you either don't typically scroll down far enough to see the video, or you have YouTube blocked in some way.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:On the home page www.lds.org, in the center panel, the fourth item down is now "Choose This Day"; below the introductory paragraph is an embedded YouTube video. Below the video is a selector for more videos. The videos rotate periodically so that the content stays fresh.

If you're not seeing it, my guess is that you either don't typically scroll down far enough to see the video, or you have YouTube blocked in some way.
I see the Choose This Day paragraph. The columns ends after "serving Him today." If I click on the Choose This Day link, I go to the Mormon Messages Channel at YouTube, where I am told:

"This web page is being redirected to a new location. Would you like to resend the form data you have typed to the new location?" If I click Ok, the next screen tells me that "An error occurred, please try again later."

If I repeat the process (or sometimes just wait a few minutes), the video comes up and plays.

It looks just like any other YouTube page. I watch things there from time to time. High tech stuff. [grin]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I see the Choose This Day paragraph. The columns ends after "serving Him today."
[BTW, I moved this discussion to a new thread, as it was not on the topic of the original thread.]

Hmm. I see the embedded YouTube video right on the home page. I can play it right there without going to the YouTube site. I see the image below.

I still would guess that you are somehow blocking YouTube. Perhaps it is being done at your ISP, or some client-side filtering software. But I would think you would still see the "Past Features" link. Curious.
ldsorg.JPG
ldsorg.JPG (42.39 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

@lajackson, what operating system and what web browser are you using?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

To view the Youtube videos you also need to allow "addthis.com".
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:@lajackson, what operating system and what web browser are you using?
WinXP Pro 2002 (SP2)
FireFox 3.5.3
Techgy wrote:To view the Youtube videos you also need to allow "addthis.com".
I can view any YouTube video I wish to see. Where do I check for addthis.com?
Alan_Brown wrote:I would think you would still see the "Past Features" link. Curious.
Ok, yes. I do see the Past Features link. After that, at the bottom of the center column and lower than the longer of the left or right column are the links for Rights and Use Information, Privacy Policy, etc.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:[BTW, I moved this discussion to a new thread, as it was not on the topic of the original thread.]
Thanks. Sorry about that. My surprise overcame my sense.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I am running WinXP Pro SP3. LDS.org is fine in IE8. Before I updated my FireFox from 3.5.2 to 3.5.3 I went to LDS.org and had no problems. But just a few minutes ago I upgraded and had the same problem you described. I re-ran the upgrade install. For the first three seconds the page was again as you described but then it must have completed loading the rest of the page.

I did note that there were two or three other site URLs (Read XXX.XXXX.com) that were displayed in the lower left of the browser status bar before the page completely rendered. The i2.ytimg.com site was the one that stayed in the status bar when the YouTube imbed was not displayed. Once it disappeared from the status bar the YouTube imbed appeared. You may have that site blocked.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Addthis.com is apparently used by the church on lds.org to provide support for the video buttons, etc. You don't need it in youtube.com

I mention it because, if you're using FF (and it appears that you are), and you also use the "NoScript" addon, it will block items such as "addthis.com" unless you give it permission.

If you're not using noscript then you shouldn't have any problems. Sorry I wasn't clear before. Are you running any firewall software that might be blocking this site?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Main Church Website”