How can I download video from lds.org?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
jamesm76

How can I download video from lds.org?

Post by jamesm76 »

Hi all,

I have a request from one of our leaders to download a few videos from http://www.lds.org to show at a leadership meeting. One such link is: http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,6865-1,00.html. I do not know how to download this to save on a flash drive (it is not just a right-click save-as type of thing; this is a streaming WMV). Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,
-James
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jamesm76 wrote:I have a request from one of our leaders to download a few videos from www.lds.org to show at a leadership meeting. One such link is: http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,6865-1,00.html. I do not know how to download this to save on a flash drive (it is not just a right-click save-as type of thing; this is a streaming WMV). Can someone help me with this?
From the web page you linked to there is no way of downloading the video. You can search the rest of lds.org for the video in a downloadable format. I did a quick search for the video now available on the Young Women page but could not find it.

All is not lost though. There are Internet video capture programs available to capture the stream. I did not find any that were free, but I didn't look very hard for them.

Alternatively you can see if the video is cached in your temporary internet files folder or some other place on your hard drive. The specific video on the Young Women page was cached in my temporary internet files folder.

The steps I took to get to the cached file were these:
  1. Start the video and let it play through to allow it to finish loading. Do not close the page or open another browser page or close your browser. The cached file should now be on your hard drive and most likely reside in your temporary internet files folder.
  2. Right click the embeded Windows Media Player and select "Properties". On the file tab at the bottom is the file URL address and name.
  3. Search your computer for the file name found in step 2. It will most likely be in your temporary internet files folder.
  4. Copy that cached file to your memory stick.

The resolution of the videos is dependent on the download speed you select. If you can, select the fastest speed available to get the highest resolution stream.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mprusse

When You Save a Girl video

Post by mprusse »

That video appears to have come from a worldwide leadership conference. I would check the LDS Distribution Services section of lds.org and see if you can find which one. There are videos available for each of those conferences.
mprusse

Where to find video

Post by mprusse »

I didn't read enough on that page. It states:

This video is an excerpt from President Hinckley's address given at the January 2004 Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting.

Here is the DVD:

24241090, January 2004 Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting: The Priesthood and the Auxiliaries of the Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary. 2 DVDs, multilingual. Free.
jamesm76

Thanks!

Post by jamesm76 »

Thanks JD & Macsense!

I tried to look in my Temporary Internet Files directory and I found a file with a ".dat" extension about 2MB in size. I tried changing the extension to .WMV with no luck (Windows Media Player wouldn't take it).

As for the DVD, I'm not able to find it on ldscatalog.com; however, since you included the item number, I'll just call LDS distribution services and have them help me. We need this within a few weeks, so the DVD might work out just fine.

Thanks again,
-James
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

jamesm76 wrote:Hi all,

I have a request from one of our leaders to download a few videos.... I do not know how to download this to save on a flash drive (it is not just a right-click save-as type of thing; this is a streaming WMV). Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,
-James
There are a couple of suggestions in this thread. I have not tried them yet, but others have had success.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jamesm76 wrote:I tried to look in my Temporary Internet Files directory and I found a file with a ".dat" extension about 2MB in size. I tried changing the extension to .WMV with no luck (Windows Media Player wouldn't take it).
Using the Young Women page you linked to in the original post to this thread the video is titled "When You Save a Girl". I clicked on the 'Watch a Video' icon in the upper right of the page. The name of the file I found in the temporary internet files folder was "82695_YW_WhenYouSaveAGirl_000_300k_wh.asx". Note it has the extension "asx". When I found the file in the temporary internet files folder I copied it to my desktop, closed IE, and double-clicked that file. It opened Windows Media Player and played the video. Note also in the name of the file the speed of the download of 300k for 300 kbps. The slower speed of 56k gives a lower resolution video.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Using the Young Women page you linked to in the original post to this thread the video is titled "When You Save a Girl". I clicked on the 'Watch a Video' icon in the upper right of the page. The name of the file I found in the temporary internet files folder was "82695_YW_WhenYouSaveAGirl_000_300k_wh.asx". Note it has the extension "asx". When I found the file in the temporary internet files folder I copied it to my desktop, closed IE, and double-clicked that file. It opened Windows Media Player and played the video. Note also in the name of the file the speed of the download of 300k for 300 kbps. The slower speed of 56k gives a lower resolution video.
That's interesting, but doesn't help with the original question of downloading videos for viewing offline. Note that a .asx file is simply a tiny XML file that contains information about the video -- it doesn't contain the actual content. It does contain the URL to the stream (it will start with "mms:"), which might be helpful in downloading the stream using some utilities. But with no Internet connection, the .asx file is not sufficient for playing the video.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Is the LDS.org video hosted with YouTube? If it is, I've recently heard of a service that can download the video for you.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

mkmurray wrote:Is the LDS.org video hosted with YouTube? If it is, I've recently heard of a service that can download the video for you.
There are some addon/plugin (I don't use English version) for Firefox that do this.
It can also convert from FLV to AVI, or other video formats, in a fly.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “Main Church Website”