Menu Changes LDS.ORG

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Menu Changes at ChurchofJesusChrist.org

Post by lajackson »

Well, I was blessed to see the new header/menu for the first time this evening. These are a few random thoughts about the experience for me.

Some sites sport the new menu. Others do not. Those that do come and go between old and new depending on the prevailing winds.

There is nothing, I repeat, nothing intuitive about the new little nine-dot menu which is so close to the search magnifying glass that it is nearly impossible to press on my laptop touch screen.

So, trying to get to Donations, I took advantage of the search bar that appeared and typed in Donations. I never got to Donations. I got to the Help pages. I got to a search results page. You cannot type Donations in the search bar and get to Online Donations.

If you get the new header and menu on the Calendar page, you cannot go anywhere else, because the Calendar page display covers the new nine-dot menu. Awkward. (I don't know why I even go the the Calendar any longer, because all I get is a set of links to +2 more, +8 more, +3 more, etc. Not very useful at all, but quite off-topic for this particular rant. Yes, I sent feedback.)

And a final bone to pick (for now). In the new nine-dot menu there is an option to "Find a Church". Actually, I have found a church already, and I like it very much (insert testimony here). I believe the new menu item should be changed back to "Find a Meetinghouse", or maybe changed to "Find a Congregation". I am not looking for a different church, so don't tempt me.

In summary, with my first introduction to the new header/menu system, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a minus 3. Maybe minus 2 if you count the fact that I could usually reload the page in my browser and get the old header/menu. Although I am sure the developers are working diligently to fix that.
drepouille

Re: Menu Changes LDS.ORG

Post by drepouille »

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but the same 3x3 grid icon also appears on the Google home page, right after "Gmail" and "Images" in the upper right corner. The Tool Tip that appears when you hover over it is "Google Apps". Apparently, this icon is all the rage with young programmers these days. (And yes, I have been programming computers since 1975.)
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jjac2

Post by jjac2 »

Cannot find header menu on the church homepage so unable to sign in on my iPad. It’s there on my computer and on my iPhone, but missing on my iPad.
mevans

Post by mevans »

jjac2 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:25 pm Cannot find header menu on the church homepage so unable to sign in on my iPad. It’s there on my computer and on my iPhone, but missing on my iPad.
Sometimes this happens. Here are a couple of suggestions:
  • Clear all cookies related to the church (I just delete all of them, rather than trying to figure out which ones are from the church). Then try accessing the site again.
  • Try logging in from an alternate page. For example, go to the tech forum where you posed this message. There's a sign in link at the forum. Try signing in there. Or try the directory: https://directory.churchofjesuschrist.org That page should take you to a login page if you're not logged in. I think one of those two should get you to a login page, but if that doesn't work, try the classic Maps site: https://classic.churchofjesuschrist.org/maps
jbwarner

Post by jbwarner »

Cannot find header menu on the church homepage on my iPad. It isn't just a question of signing on, it is a question of not being able to navigate. No menu, no navigation. Clearing all cookies didn't help.
mevans

Post by mevans »

jbwarner wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:57 pm Cannot find header menu on the church homepage on my iPad. It isn't just a question of signing on, it is a question of not being able to navigate. No menu, no navigation. Clearing all cookies didn't help.
I'm guessing you're using Safari? If so, are you able to try installing Chrome to see if that works on your iPad? I know some people don't like installing other web browsers and understand if you don't want to do that. I'm just trying to see if your results are the same or different with a different web browser. I find some church sites don't work as well on Safari (on a Mac). These days I have the best luck with Chrome on Church web sites...so if something doesn't work, I try it on Chrome. You don't have to leave Chrome installed on your iPad if you don't want it there; I'm just trying to think of tests that will help determine what's going on.

We're just peer-to-peer help, but we might be able to help diagnose an issue so that it can be better reported to the church.

Return to “Main Church Website”