Problem with direct URL to meetinghouse map

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
RossEvans

Problem with direct URL to meetinghouse map

Post by RossEvans »

Our quorums have been taking advantage of the maps.lds.org site to publish a direct URL to our meetinghouse locator map. The URL http://maps.lds.org/?unitld=101826 has been published in newsletters sent to less-active members. I think it is a great idea.

But I have experienced sporadic difficulty reaching that site. Often the site does not navigate to our unit's own map, but just stops at the home page for maps.lds.org. However, sometimes the link above does work. I have not been able to isolate symptoms of this sporadic behavior to discern any differences.

The direct URL syntax is not exactly documented, but intrepid users such as RussellHltn(and, I gather, our own quorum leaders) have discovered it and have been putting it to use. But now we are frustrated.

Does anyone have any clues? Should we not be using such a direct URL?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I tried it just now and what I noticed is a significant delay where it sat at the opening page before it went over to the ward map. I didn't measure it, but it felt like a good 10 seconds. If I didn't watch the bottom status bar that showed things were not complete, I might have assumed that it had failed.

When it does truly fail, can you search for the ward or do you get a message that might indicate that the backend is down?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:I tried it just now and what I noticed is a significant delay where it sat at the opening page before it went over to the ward map. I didn't measure it, but it felt like a good 10 seconds. If I didn't watch the bottom status bar that showed things were not complete, I might have assumed that it had failed.

When it does truly fail, can you search for the ward or do you get a message that might indicate that the backend is down?

When I try that URL now, I wait until the status bar says Done. But I am left sitting on the home page for maps.lds.org. The site does not navigate to my unit's map, as it did when I used the URL several times a couple of hours ago. (I do recall some latency then, as you describe, although not as long as 10 seconds.) When I search for an address from the form, it works normally.

It seems almost as if the host site is tracking my usage and blocking repeated access to that URL from my IP address. Do I understand you to say that clicking on the link in my top post (with my unitID) works for you now? Very strange.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

boomerbubba wrote:When I try that URL now, I wait until the status bar says Done. But I am left sitting on the home page for maps.lds.org. The site does not navigate to my unit's map, as it did when I used the URL several times a couple of hours ago. (I do recall some latency then, as you describe, although not as long as 10 seconds.) When I search for an address from the form, it works normally.

It seems almost as if the host site is tracking my usage and blocking repeated access to that URL from my IP address. Do I understand you to say that clicking on the link in my top post (with my unitID) works for you now? Very strange.
I tried a couple of different things and noted that I could get a map location only if I had logged in to LUWS. I clicked through the "map" link and saw my chapel. I then changed the unit number and could see boomerbubba's chapel. This worked for about 10 minutes, when I again had to click through LUWS to allow me to query unit numbers. Before I logged in, I was seeing the same thing that boomerbubba did - just the world map on the main maps.lds.org page.

My guess is that this is a new security enhancement and that your backdoor is gone... :(
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

boomerbubba wrote:Do I understand you to say that clicking on the link in my top post (with my unitID) works for you now? Very strange.
No, I used a different link. But your link might work if it work better if "unitId" was spelled correctly. It's "ID", not "LD". :D

And either way it talks about 7 seconds to resolve to a map.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

RussellHltn wrote:\ But your link might work if it work better if "unitId" was spelled correctly. It's "ID", not "LD". :D
D'oh! It's case sensitive - Capital I, lowercase D. Correct link would be http://maps.lds.org/?unitId=101826

So much for my sleuthing abilities...
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:No, I used a different link. But your link might work if it work better if "unitId" was spelled correctly. It's "ID", not "LD". :D

And either way it talks about 7 seconds to resolve to a map.

That's not a lower-case "L" in my URL, but a cap "I" -- copied from the URL generated by the "Map" link in LUWS.

Right now, even when I am logged in to LUWS and access the link directly, the whole maps site just sits there and hangs without ever loading completely. So I think something on the host end is blocking me. Right now I am leaning toward oregonmatt's theory about aggressive security logic. I'll try later from a different IP address and computer, but this direct URL does not seem like a reliable address to publish.

Meanwhile, I created a simple custom map in my own account on Google My Maps. We may just use that link in the newsletters for a locator map. It would be nice to link to the church site directly, but the links have to work.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

You are assuming that your link is a permanent/stable/static link instead of being dynamically generated frequently or periodically.

If you want to use a more permanent link, click the Send icon after navigating to your meeting house, and then copy and paste the link it generates. Unfortunately this link, however stable, is unweldy to type.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

boomerbubba wrote:That's not a lower-case "L" in my URL, but a cap "I" -- copied from the URL generated by the "Map" link in LUWS.
Nope. It's a lowercase L. I couldn't see it in the sans-serif font of the forum. I had to copy and paste to Notepad to see it.

I haven't had a problem pulling the maps up since I got it right. Does the URL I posted in post #6 work for you?
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

oregonmatt wrote:I haven't had a problem pulling the maps up since I got it right. Does the URL I posted in post #6 work for you?
The URL in post #6 works for me.
Thanks,
Dennis

Return to “Main Church Website”