Conference Language Translations

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mythicaldragon

Conference Language Translations

Post by mythicaldragon »

Before the Beta-version of lds.org it was very easy to change the language of conference talk right from within that webpage. In it's current updated form, I can no longer find that language switch option in the conference section. I particularly switch to chinese and japanese quite often for the conference sessions, and it's rather frustrating there is no longer an easy access switch option. Am I just missing where to find that? The only option I have at this point is to switch the language for the entire website, which is highly problematic as not only can I not read enough to get back to the conference session I was on from the main page, but I also discovered there is no "translated" watchable version of conference anymore in these languages. All that is available is the print form. What happened to all the translations?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Conference Language Translations

Post by aebrown »

mythicaldragon wrote:Before the Beta-version of lds.org it was very easy to change the language of conference talk right from within that webpage. In it's current updated form, I can no longer find that language switch option in the conference section. I particularly switch to chinese and japanese quite often for the conference sessions, and it's rather frustrating there is no longer an easy access switch option. Am I just missing where to find that?
It is still easy to switch languages. First find the conference talk you are interested in. In the upper-right corner of each LDS.org web page, there is a world icon that lets you change the language:
gclang2.png
gclang2.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Click on it, and you will see a long list of languages; near the bottom you will find Chinese:
gclang1.png
gclang1.png (6.99 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Click on the Chinese link, and the conference talk you were viewing in English will now be displayed in Chinese.

If you observe what happens to the URL in your browser's address bar, you can learn another way to change your language that you may find to be easier. When you are reading a conference talk in English, the last part of the URL is "lang=eng"; when you are reading it in Chinese, the last part is "lang=zho". So you can simply go to your browser's address bar and change that "eng" to "zho" for Chinese, or to "jpn" for Japanese.
mythicaldragon wrote:The only option I have at this point is to switch the language for the entire website, which is highly problematic as not only can I not read enough to get back to the conference session I was on from the main page,
If you follow the steps I listed above, you will remain on the conference talk you were originally viewing when you change the language.
mythicaldragon wrote:but I also discovered there is no "translated" watchable version of conference anymore in these languages. All that is available is the print form. What happened to all the translations?
It doesn't appear that there are translated video and audio versions of the conference talks in Chinese at this point. I don't know what may have been available in the past. But Japanese and many other languages are available.

UPDATE: It looks like video is available in Mandarin, which has a language code of "cmn". So follow the steps above, but use "cmn" in place of "zho" and I think you'll be able to see video and audio options in Mandarin.

Return to “Main Church Website”