Women's General Session link to YouTube

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
cguzman

Women's General Session link to YouTube

Post by cguzman »

Hello, we normally get our members to come to our building and watch conference since our stake center is a little far and a lot of our members walk to church. While trying to connect today to watch women's conference I noticed that we couldn't get a connection it was 5 o'clock already and nothing. While I started to check different things I decided to see if I could watch on my phone, and I could. It had started already but my laptop couldn't connect, that's when I notice that it was a YouTube link. I remembered that the LDS access wireless network has it blocked. In years past we were able to go to LDS.org and watch no problem, the conference would play right there on lds.org without any issues. Now since the broadcast was over YouTube we couldn't connect at church. Not sure if the same thing is going to happen next week for all the sessions of general conference. Not sure why the church would block YouTube and then use it to broadcast conference, doesn't make any sense. I tried Mormon channel but it was the same issue a link to YouTube. Do you know of any way to get around this? I ended up connecting my laptop to my phone's internet and that's how I was able to help our sisters watch conference today. Unfortunately my phone's internet is not unlimited and now I'm out data for my personal use. If you can help with this issue I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Cristian Guzman
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Women's General Session link to YouTube

Post by Mikerowaved »

How did you determine it was coming through YouTube servers? When I stream the rebroadcast from lds.org, it comes through Brightecove via a server in Virginia with an IP address on the RoadRunner network. Was the live stream channeled differently?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

From what I've seen, the live traffic is split -- sometimes you'll get YouTube and other times you'll get the Brightcove player. I'm not sure why they would do this without unblocking YouTube in the meetinghouses (at least for the weekend), but it appears that's what they're doing. Perhaps try a new browsing session (different browser or private/incognito mode) and you might end up with the Brightcove player instead of YouTube.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:How did you determine it was coming through YouTube servers?
Because when I went full screen, it said, YouTube is now full screen, press ESC to exit. And before that, the YouTube logo was at the bottom right next to the full screen button.

I wonder, based on your Brightcove comment, if LDS.org uses YouTube as an overflow method.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:I wonder, based on your Brightcove comment, if LDS.org uses YouTube as an overflow method.
Hummm... this whole YouTube thing is something I'm going to press hard on at the upcoming LDSTech Conference. If they're going to persist in using it, then it simply needs to be unblocked; at least certain aspects of it, if that's possible. There are worse sites freely available through the firewall, why focus just on YouTube?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm wondering if the blocking is more for traffic control than censorship. Perhaps what's needed is a way to insure authorized devices can stream it, but the general congregation can't. If they can allow YouTube though the hard-wire, but not the WAP, that would help.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:I'm wondering if the blocking is more for traffic control than censorship.
It's entirely possible, but then I would think Netflix, Amazon Prime, WatchESPN, and a host of others would be on their blacklist as well.
russellhltn wrote:If they can allow YouTube though the hard-wire, but not the WAP, that would help.
I could live with that, but I don't think it would be practical to implement.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I'm wondering if the blocking is more for traffic control than censorship.
It's entirely possible, but then I would think Netflix, Amazon Prime, WatchESPN, and a host of others would be on their blacklist as well.
Are you sure they're not? I mean, who's going to complain about that?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

shawndowler

Post by shawndowler »

I was going to try to use a laptop to stream for increased video quality at our stake center for the women's broadcast, but 30 minutes before, I tried to connect and it was a YouTube link for me as well. I had to switch everything over to the satellite at the last minute. I had done a lot of testing before the conference and had everything set up. This was the first time I was scrambling that close to the start to get everything working for a broadcast. I was hoping that if they're going to use YouTube for streaming that they might have a different stream that only the Stake leaders could access (maybe password protected or something.)

I know it's my own fault for trying something that's not official, and it's really just a "nice to have." We have started broadcasting our Stake Conference in HD and people are used to watching General Conference at home in 1080p. It's a little disappointing to come to the chapel and see what many have described to me as a blurry or out-of-focus image. One person even asked if there was anything I could do to adjust the projector to make the picture focus.
cguzman

Post by cguzman »

Hi all, thanks for all your replies and for taking the time to check this out and offer your opinion. What I gather from all the different post is that the only thing that might help is trying different browsers and maybe trying to get connected earlier. I have a laptop with windows 10 and a Mac Book pro with Safari so I'll try my luck this weekend and hope for the best, otherwise we'll just have to get rides for everyone to go to the stake center. Again thank you all for your time and hope you all have a great conference weekend.

Regards,
Cristian Guzman

Return to “Main Church Website”