LDS.org to get major style update, updated header

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
bweggersen

Re: LDS.org to get major style update, updated header

Post by bweggersen »

Hi!

I love the new design. I just have a quick thought on the header on high-resolution screens. I appreciate the responsive, full-width approach to the new header, but in my opinion it would look better if you added a max-width property to the content of the header (not the blue line, it looks nice when it spans the width of the screen). I've included two screenshots. One, which is how it is today where the content of both sides of the header are actually on the "outside" of the content width of the website. And the second screenshot is a suggestion to how it could look.

Keep up the good work anyway!

Benjamin
Skjermbilde 2015-02-16 kl. 23.26.52.png
(2.38 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Skjermbilde 2015-02-16 kl. 23.30.54.png
(2.86 MiB) Not downloaded yet
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mevans wrote:I happened to use a different computer last night that still had open pages from the old LDS.org. I guess content on the old LDS.org did have a maximum width; however, its maximum width didn't really bother me. I didn't look at technical details to see if the new maximum width is the same or less; there is a different font and size on the revised site. It's just that my overall observation in reading on the new lds.org is that I feel constrained with the maximum width; it's less than what I want it to be.
You can see the old LDS.org here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150201183 ... /?lang=eng

I think the fact that the page is framed by a different color makes a big difference.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Prith001

Post by Prith001 »

I work as a designer. Just wanted to say awesome job Aj, keep up the good work!
stevereed

Post by stevereed »

As a UI/UX designer, I second bweggersen's suggestion, especially on larger screens. Full-width is fine for smaller screen widths where it isn't as dramatic. I think a simple max-width would fix things, unless the current designers are taking into account other languages where super-wide text might affect the layout of items in the header. There are a ton of things to consider, but at first glance, I think bweggersen makes a good point.

Return to “Main Church Website”