Tools Menu - Highlight Calling-Specific Tools

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
bmsbird

Tools Menu - Highlight Calling-Specific Tools

Post by bmsbird »

After searching the forum, I didn't see a post about this. It would be great to know which tools on the menu are calling-specific tools. I'm a stake executive secretary and I don't know which tools are viewable by my ward counterpart. Yesterday, our stake clerk told me about the Facilities Issue Reporting tool and I was excited to use it, but I found my calling doesn't give me access. Is there is a list of all tools available and who has access to what?

Thanks!
mevans

Re: Tools Menu - Highlight Calling-Specific Tools

Post by mevans »

The only thing I can think of is selecting "All Tools" from the Tools menu. That tells you about most of them, even some of which are only available to people based on their callings. However, some, like Facilities Issue Reporting are not included. There are some other tools which I've heard of that I believe only Bishops and Stake Presidents have access to.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If we could start a list in this thread I wouldn't mind compiling a spreadsheet that shows who has access to what – I think it would be handy to have around...

This tool is available to everyone with an LDS Account:
Notes (for scripture study)

Here are the tools available to everyone who is LDS and assigned to a ward:
Directory
Calendar
Lesson Schedules
Newsletter
Patriarchal Blessing (request)
LDS Store

Here are the tools available to the extended ward council:
Leader and Clerk Resources

Here are some other tools I know of:
Recreation Camps (Manage Camps?)
Missionary Recommendation
Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders
Facility Issue Reporting
Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement
Employment Resource Services
Official Communications Library
Seminary Registration
Send a Message
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

How would you define a "Tool"? Any service that gives access based on LDS Account login? What about, for example, FamilySearch?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:How would you define a "Tool"? Any service that gives access based on LDS Account login? What about, for example, FamilySearch?
For purposes of this discussion, I would limit the definition to include only those items that actually show up on the Tools menu on LDS.org. Otherwise the list will be very unwieldy -- if you include FamilySearch, you'll also need to include many other sites. Let's stick to the question posed in the original post, which is the actual Tools menu.

Following that guideline, I would remove the following from your previous post:
LDS Store
Seminary Registration
Send a Message
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:For purposes of this discussion, I would limit the definition to include only those items that actually show up on the Tools menu on LDS.org. Otherwise the list will be very unwieldy -- if you include FamilySearch, you'll also need to include many other sites. Let's stick to the question posed in the original post, which is the actual Tools menu.
That seems to limit the sites being discussed. I'd prefer to discuss resources that are calling-specific. Meaning, you must hold a specific calling to access or administer them.

While the OP says the Tools menu, the situation that gave rise to the desire isn't limited to the Tools menu. I'm sure there are people who would like to know who has access to the Official Communication Library.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:That seems to limit the sites being discussed.
Of course it does. That was my intent -- to not have such a broad discussion that it gets out of hand.
russellhltn wrote:I'd prefer to discuss resources that are calling-specific. Meaning, you must hold a specific calling to access or administer them.
Fine. But I hope you understand what you're embarking on -- the list will have dozens of sites, with all sorts of nuances (different access for different callings) for many of the sites.
bmsbird

Post by bmsbird »

There seems to be at least two levels to this idea:
1- Some kind of indication on the Tools menu that a particular tool is based on the specific member's calling.
2- A list of all tools and the callings that have access to them (and possibly what level of access?).
aebrown wrote:Following that guideline, I would remove the following from your previous post:
LDS Store
Seminary Registration
Send a Message
I would actually include the above items on the access list in my Item 2.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Here's a document I started, if anyone is interested in contributing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

bmsbird wrote:There seems to be at least two levels to this idea:
1- Some kind of indication on the Tools menu that a particular tool is based on the specific member's calling.
The tools menu does this (mostly). The general access items are at the top and any calling specific ones appear below a line break in the menu. Leader and Clerk resources is the exception. I think they did that when they expanded access to the ward councils to make it easier to find.

Return to “Main Church Website”