Finding quotes in another language (Spanish)

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
jaredfamily

Finding quotes in another language (Spanish)

Post by jaredfamily »

What is the best way to find a quote translated into Spanish. For example, the one I'm looking for tonight is by President Benson - Ensign Dec 1988, and repeated again in the New Era, June 1998 by John Bytheway . I can't find these direct publications in Spanish (and can't understand the site well enough to know how to navigate when I switch languages. Any ideas on how I can find some of these older quotes in another language?

“Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life (see Matt. 10:39)” (“Jesus Christ—Gifts and Expectations,” New Era, May 1975, 20, emphasis added).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Finding quotes in another language (Spanish)

Post by aebrown »

jaredfamily wrote:What is the best way to find a quote translated into Spanish. For example, the one I'm looking for tonight is by President Benson - Ensign Dec 1988, and repeated again in the New Era, June 1998 by John Bytheway . I can't find these direct publications in Spanish (and can't understand the site well enough to know how to navigate when I switch languages. Any ideas on how I can find some of these older quotes in another language?

“Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life (see Matt. 10:39)” (“Jesus Christ—Gifts and Expectations,” New Era, May 1975, 20, emphasis added).
Here's the quote in Spanish:
“Los hombres y mujeres que se dedican a obedecer la voluntad de Dios descubren que Él puede hacer de sus vidas mucho más de lo que ellos harían; Él les hace más profundo el gozo, les expande la visión, les vivifica el entendimiento, les fortalece los músculos, les eleva el espíritu, les multiplica las bendiciones, les aumenta las oportunidades, los consuela, les provee amigos y derrama Su paz sobre ellos. Cualquiera que pierda su vida en el servicio de Dios encontrará la vida eterna” (“Lo que podemos darle al Señor”, Liahona, diciembre de 1987, pág. 4).

A general technique for finding older quotes in other languages is not easy to explain, but here's what I did in this case. Hopefully some of the principles of my search will help as you look for other quotes:
  1. The first step is to find the quote in English on LDS.org. So I searched for some text in the quote that seemed possibly unique to the quote. On LDS.org, I used the main search box to search for "strengthen their muscles" and I got quite a list of hits. Note that I was searching for that phrase, so I put the search text in quotation marks. Note also that you may need to click on the "All results from Top Results..." link at the bottom of the Top Results box in the search results page in order to see more hits.
  2. I found the original, a speech Elder Benson gave at BYU on 10 December 1974. And that particular paragraph has been quoted in many other publications. But relatively few of them are in Spanish.
  3. Note that the New Era and the Ensign are not translated into Spanish. So I thought I'd look in the Liahona, which often contains much of the content published in the Ensign or New Era. But I could only find references to that quote in 1988 (for which there is no Spanish content for Liahona on LDS.org) or in June 1996 (for which there is only April and November content -- for general conference).
  4. So I kept looking for hits in publications that seemed more likely to be translated into Spanish. Some seemed possible, but weren't in Spanish (I could tell by the results I saw in step 9 below).
  5. I noticed one hit was in "Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3 Lesson 25: Every Young Man Should ..." That seemed promising, since I know that these basic manuals are translated into many languages, and so I followed the link in the search results to see this lesson in English.
  6. I located the quote within the article by using my browser to search within the page (Ctrl+F on Windows or Cmd+F on a Mac) for "Ezra Taft Benson" (I was thinking ahead to when I would need to search in Spanish, a language I have only passing acquaintance with, and I figured his name would be the same in any language).
  7. I found the quote within this lesson, and it seems to be exactly what I want.
  8. I then changed the language to Spanish, using the globe icon at the very top right of the LDS.org page I was on. I chose "Español" (alternatively, you can go to the address bar of your browser and change the "lang=eng" part at the end to "lang=spa").
  9. At this point, if the particular page is not in Spanish, you will get a "Page not found" ("No se encontró la página" in Spanish) error.
  10. But we are fortunate that in this case the Spanish version of the lesson actually appears. Joy! We're almost done!
  11. I located the quote within the article by using my browser to search for "Ezra Taft Benson" and I saw that his name was followed by a quotation, just like it was in English.
  12. I copied the quote and pasted it into this response.
Not every search will work this well, but this is the basic technique I have used to find translations into other languages many times in the past.
jaredfamily

Post by jaredfamily »

Wow, thank you for taking the time to explain that so clearly. I really appreciate it. Looks like I was on the right track, but I never found a publication that was also in Spanish so I would get sent to a list of resources. My spanish ability is maybe like yours and I would never find it that way! I am grateful to know that if the publication actually exists it will open right up to the same place. I did a search but didn't come up with enough hits...not sure why, but I learned a lot from your step by step that will help me in the future. Thanks again...I sent that quote off to a missionary this morning! :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jaredfamily wrote: did a search but didn't come up with enough hits...not sure why, but I learned a lot from your step by step that will help me in the future.
Not all hits are shown at first. Perhaps that's why you didn't see a lot of hits in your search.

I edited my step #1 to add: 'Note also that you may need to click on the "All results from Top Results..." link at the bottom of the Top Results box in the search results page in order to see more hits.'

Return to “Main Church Website”