Language internet streams

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the LDS.org website.
silid
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Language internet streams

Postby silid » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:46 am

The options for language streams are limited via satellite and we sometimes find a need to offer languages that are not available in our area. We have been doing this by connecting to the internet stream of the required language and combining this with the satellite video. We suffer the latency of the internet stream but it is better than nothing.

My questions are as follows:

Is it possible to have privately accessible streams of all languages for all sessions of the conference inc priesthood?
Is it possible for the archive to be available within a short time after conclusion of the session for access with delayed broadcasts around the world?

User avatar
kd7mha
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Logan, Utah

Postby kd7mha » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:12 am

I would think that the satellite help desk could reprogram your decoder to receive different audio channels.

jeffclark1070-p40
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Antioch, CA 94531

Postby jeffclark1070-p40 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:27 am

My questions are as follows:

Is it possible to have privately accessible streams of all languages for all sessions of the conference inc priesthood?
Is it possible for the archive to be available within a short time after conclusion of the session for access with delayed broadcasts around the world?


I know that you do receive all of the languages however you need a pico unit that can pick off the correct language. Each language has its own pico unit. So if you want 20 different languages you would need 20 pico units. This won't ever happen, even in Europe. We have 3 in our stake English,Spanish and Tongan. The problem is how large is the need for the language. If it is 1 or 2 people then what you are doing is probably the way to go. If you have a group of 20 or so with a particular language, I would contact the FM group about getting a pico unit for the language.

I am not sure about the archive question. I guess you want the conference available for download. I would'nt have the answer for that one.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 am

Just a clarification for some visitors to the forum to what jeffclark1070 posted. The satellite system uses several components to recieve the satellite transmission. The first is a satellite receiver. Then there are any number of audio video modulators used for each language transmission desired to be received. The brand of audio video modulator that jeffclark1070 refers to as a pico is a modulator manufactured by Pico Macom, Inc.. Each modulator will be set for output on a specific channel for pickup on a TV, video projector or other video display unit. If you have more than one audio video modulator there will also be a passive headend combiner that combines the outputs of all the modulators for transmission over a single cable throughout the building.



As an example our stake center is configured for two languages, English and Spanish, and one video camera. Therefore we have the following hardware components:
  • Digital Television Receiver - Unity 500 by Wegener Communications
  • English Ch 2 Audio Video Modulator - BAVfM-2 by Blonder Tongue Laboratories, Inc.
  • Spanish Ch 3 Audio Video Modulator - PCM55SAW by Pico Macom, Inc.
  • Camera Ch 6 Audio Video Modulator - PCM55 by Pico Macom, Inc.
  • Pasive Headend Combiner - PHC-12U by Pico Macom, Inc.
The manufacturer of the modulators can be from any number of companies and therefore may not be a Pico Macom unit.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

jeffclark1070-p40
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Antioch, CA 94531

Postby jeffclark1070-p40 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:56 pm

jdlessley wrote:Just a clarification for some visitors to the forum to what jeffclark1070 posted. The satellite system uses several components to recieve the satellite transmission. The first is a satellite receiver. Then there are any number of audio video modulators used for each language transmission desired to be received. The brand of audio video modulator that jeffclark1070 refers to as a pico is a modulator manufactured by Pico Macom, Inc.. Each modulator will be set for output on a specific channel for pickup on a TV, video projector or other video display unit. If you have more than one audio video modulator there will also be a passive headend combiner that combines the outputs of all the modulators for transmission over a single cable throughout the building.




As an example our stake center is configured for two languages, English and Spanish, and one video camera. Therefore we have the following hardware components:
  • Digital Television Receiver - Unity 500 by Wegener Communications
  • English Ch 2 Audio Video Modulator - BAVfM-2 by Blonder Tongue Laboratories, Inc.
  • Spanish Ch 3 Audio Video Modulator - PCM55SAW by Pico Macom, Inc.
  • Camera Ch 6 Audio Video Modulator - PCM55 by Pico Macom, Inc.
  • Pasive Headend Combiner - PHC-12U by Pico Macom, Inc.
The manufacturer of the modulators can be from any number of companies and therefore may not be a Pico Macom unit.


Sorry for not going into detail. I guess I forget how large the church is and all off the possible equipment out there. We have 2 buildings with satellite equipment in our stake. The stake center was retrofited with the new equipment while the other building stayed the same. So just got caught up in thinking that all buildings have very similar equipment which is not the way I should think.

silid
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Postby silid » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:17 am

I don't think all the languages are available. This is from the instructions (http://www.lds.org/conference/GC_2008Oct_HowToView_04566_000.pdf) on page 6:

Europe and South Africa
Church satellite system.

Regular Broadcasts

Languages available for all conference sessions, the General Relief Society Meeting rebroadcast, and Music and the Spoken
Word:

Arabic, Armenian, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Malagasy,
Mandarin, Norwegian, Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Ukrainian


So if I need Hindi (Indian) I believe the only place I can get this is via the internet. Am I right?

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6142
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:20 pm

silid wrote:So if I need Hindi (Indian) I believe the only place I can get this is via the internet. Am I right?


Yes, unless you can pick up the satellite feeding the broadcast to India. [grin]

Actually, look at the Asia and Pacific satellite schedule for Saturday conference sessions. And then look at the midweek broadcast schedule for all sessions. You may find it there.

Otherwise, I think in real time, the internet is the only way you will get it.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20763
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:24 pm

jeffclark1070 wrote:Each language has its own pico unit. So if you want 20 different languages you would need 20 pico units.


In addition to the modulator, you may need an audio pair installed in the satellite receiver. The base unit is just has a single stereo output which is English and Spanish (for those are aimed at the satellite for North America.) Because these are really stereo feeds, it's not possible to independently select the language for each jack. If you pick one language, the other jack gets whatever it's paired with. With any luck, it will be one you need. The church did try and pick pairs that would work for the majority of their units.

From memory, I think the satellite receiver can accommodate up to 3 additional audio units. So depending on your luck, that's between 3 to 6 additional languages. Beyond that ... I don't know what can be done.

ASL (American Sign Language) is not a audio feed, it's a video. To receive that requires a whole separate receiver to tune to the ASL channel.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

silid
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Postby silid » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:23 am

So full circle back to my original questions:

silid wrote:Is it possible to have privately accessible streams of all languages for all sessions of the conference inc priesthood?
Is it possible for the archive to be available within a short time after conclusion of the session for access with delayed broadcasts around the world?


I appreciate that these are probably feature requests but I don't know where else to suggest them.

silid
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Postby silid » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:08 am

The question seems invalid now that the Hindi (India) stream has been removed from lds.org.


Return to “LDS.org Website”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest