lds.org favicon absent from iOS Safari bookmark page

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
NicholasA

lds.org favicon absent from iOS Safari bookmark page

Post by NicholasA »

Is there a way to fix this? In other words, the generic favicon appears as opposed to the picture of the Savior, which is seen when browsing with the desktop version of safari.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: lds.org favicon absent from iOS Safari bookmark page

Post by aebrown »

nicholasa wrote:Is there a way to fix this? In other words, the generic favicon appears as opposed to the picture of the Savior, which is seen when browsing with the desktop version of safari.
I looked at the page source, and it appears that the favicon is specified properly according to web standards. It's not the default filename or location, but that's not required by the spec as long as the page tells the browser where it is using a link tag in the header.

I'm not sure what's happening with that particular browser. I suppose it's possible that it is assuming a default filename or location and not respecting the information in the link tag, but it's hard to believe that a mature browser such as iOS Safari would make such a mistake. If that were the case, the Church could choose to put a favicon.ico file in the root of the site to accommodate browsers that make that assumption.
Rickymon

Post by Rickymon »

I dont see the favicon on the lds site... thru Chrome

http://i.imgur.com/JwRwFeZ.png
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Safari for iOS looks for a touch icon, rather than a favicon. LDS.org does not have touch icons defined.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Rickymon wrote:I dont see the favicon on the lds site... thru Chrome

http://i.imgur.com/JwRwFeZ.png
I'm not sure what you're expecting to see. The screen shot you posted seems to have a favicon for LDS.org. I see the small Christus image on the tab. What makes you think there is no favicon there?

Return to “Main Church Website”