Downloading videos from lds.org onto iOS devices

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
poff

Downloading videos from lds.org onto iOS devices

Post by poff »

Pardon me if there is a recent post regarding this issue, but I didn't see one.

My wife and I consider ourselves to be fairly comfortable with technology, but have had several instances where downloading videos from lds.org to iOS devices was very difficult, if not, impossible.

Here's a simple example, last night my wife wanted to download a video to her iPad of a talk from the October general conference. The lds.org page showed an icon to download, but we couldn't get it to work. We could download on a computer, but not iPad

Are the videos on the church website not setup for mobile device download?

Is there a reasonable approach to doing this? I'd like to think there are other people out there experiencing similar issues.

We did check the gospel library app 3.4.4 and there doesn't appear to be an option for adding conference videos, just text versions.

Thanks in advance for any help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Downloading videos from lds.org onto iOS devices

Post by russellhltn »

On the Android version, once you pull up a talk, there's a "play" button (a right-facing triangle). When you press that, you're given the option of "Download Media". Is there nothing like that in the iOS?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
poff

Post by poff »

There is a download button and options for which format you want. When you select an option (MP4 360p, etc) it opens the video and starts playing. It doesn't appear to ever download the video - just plays

Thanks
mevans

Post by mevans »

You need to use something else to download the video to the iPad/iPhone.

One option is to download it on a computer and then use iTunes to copy it to your device.

Another option is to get an app that downloads videos. Someone in my ward recommended some apps for this purpose, but I'm not where I have those notes handy or I'd give you the name of a few he recommended. You can google something like "ipad video download app" and find more information.

You should be able to download conference talks with their videos through Gospel Library. The video comes with the talk and you can choose to download it. I've done that previously for a teacher technology demonstration.

I'll try to remember to come back and post additional information. There are a few things I don't have with me right now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Another option is to get an app that downloads videos. Someone in my ward recommended some apps for this purpose, but I'm not where I have those notes handy or I'd give you the name of a few he recommended. You can google something like "ipad video download app" and find more information.
Keep in mind that if the church doesn't give a download link for a video, there are probably contractual reasons for doing that. We can't support work-arounds in that case.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

To download from within Gospel Library, you first need to see the video. Tap the icon at the top right. This will bring the video pane into view. You can then make it taller so you can see the video. Then you should see a download icon in the lower-right corner:
uchtdorf.png
(373.95 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Just tap it and it will download. If you need to free up space, you can tap it again to delete it from your device. (I happened to have this iPhone screen shot available from a training I did; I'm assuming it works in a similar fashion on the iPad Gospel Library app.)

I couldn't find my notes on the download apps a ward member had recommended. Doing a quick search, I turned up a ton of video download apps. Basically, you just copy the URL for the video into the app and it will download it to your local storage so you can play it back disconnected. You could use this for any videos that have a download URL, but are not available within Gospel Library. The church makes it pretty easy to download the videos they want you to download. As russellhltn mentioned, if there's not a download link, then it's restricted and you shouldn't try to download it.
easten9

Post by easten9 »

Oh snap. So when using a iphone and you download a conference talk. You just go back to LDS library and click on the talk you downloaded and it plays without streaming. It does not load on your itunes or anything, just access the downloaded data in the Library as usual. I thought you had to use a special app to play them.
gregr1965

Post by gregr1965 »

If you're in windows, the MP3 download will appear on the bottom of the screen. Open it in the download screen, right click the file name that you just downloaded and hit send to. That will allow the option for you to target where the file will go. In my case I sent it to a USB drive to use in my car.
burdsal1

Post by burdsal1 »

Well I am totally stumped. I want to play (MP3) audio only of downloaded prior conference sessions. I might like to hear the latest conference together with music but for older sessions I want to hear only certain speakers - like perhaps President Kimball for example. I have no clue how to do this, or even if it is possible? Can you please help me? I don't want to drive down the highway listening to these talks "streaming" and eat up all my data minutes, that's why I want to download them. Thanks so much for help in advance.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Here's one way to download MP3 audio-only of older conference talk:
  • In a web browser, go to https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng
    Click on "Scriptures and Study" in the upper banner;
    Click on "General Conference";
    Click on "CONFERENCES" just below the upper banner;
    Click on "...nferences (94)" (an apparently bug may push the popup partially past the left of the window);
    Click on the conference you wish (I chose April, 1990);
    Click on a talk ( chose President Monson's "Conference Is Here" opening remarks);
    Click on the circle with a downward-facing arrow inside it;
    Click on "MP3";
    Find the file where your downloaded files go;
In the past, I have seen ways to download a ZIP file for all talks in a given session or conference. That option might still exist for some newer conferences. Worst case, it should only take a few minutes to download an entire conference.

Or, did I misunderstand the question/problem?

Return to “Main Church Website”