Full-Screen videos and IE 10/11

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
dkmortensen

Full-Screen videos and IE 10/11

Post by dkmortensen »

There appears to be a problem with video full-screen mode on lds.org and Internet Explorer 10 and 11.

The issue seems to be specific to the Brightcove implementation and not a Flash issue in general.

Here's an example of this problem outside of lds.org:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... aa474104b0

Note the youtube video showing an example is using the site https://au.news.yahoo.com/. You can visit this site and view any video and right-click the video to clearly see they are using the Brightcove video platform just like the church.

However it seems they have probably modified their implementation in order to fix this issue so that IE 10/11 now properly stay full-screen.

Is this something that the church web devs would be willing to fix?

FYI I think that not all of the Brightcove videos on lds.org have this problem but a major chunk of them do. Obviously the YouTube videos on lds.org don't have this problem.
dkmortensen

Re: Full-Screen videos and IE 10/11

Post by dkmortensen »

bump?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I may be wrong in this, but in general the Church doesn't seem to promote the use of IE. As there seems to be a lot of compatability issues. Although all Church supplied computers will have IE installed, instructions infer that either Chrome and/or Firefox can be installed as well. You can draw your own conclusions from that!

I haven't used IE for at least 4 years, because of incompatibility issues. In fact not since installing W7.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:I may be wrong in this, but in general the Church doesn't seem to promote the use of IE.
Some of the church's sites are not compatible with older versions of IE, but they're fine with later versions.

What video where you looking at? I went to gc.lds.org and picked a talk at random. I also went to that news site and picked a video. Each time, "full screen" was just that. A video that completely filled my screen. This is under IE11.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:I may be wrong in this, but in general the Church doesn't seem to promote the use of IE. As there seems to be a lot of compatability issues.
You're both right and wrong. The Church is a large organization. There are some departments where Internet Explorer is the standard browser, and using anything else is not supported well. There are others where its use is discouraged. But in general, there is an acknowledgement that IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari are the major browsers that all have to work reasonably well with Church websites, and significant engineering and testing efforts go into making them work. It's clearly not 100% effective, because resources are limited, but that is usually the goal.
mevans

Post by mevans »

At least for the lds.org content, maybe two years ago, someone from the church mentioned that they primarily used Firefox internally for most of the development and testing, so if something doesn't work on a particular browser, I try Firefox to see if it works there. I don't know if that's in general they're using Firefox, or for a feature we were beta testing at the time.

I regularly access lds.org with different web browsers and think the compatibility has greatly improved over time. When Windows 8 (and IE 10/11) came out, I remember some church people asking people about problems reported in the forums and trying to fix them, but maybe they're not lurking here now. I suggest using the Feedback link to report the problem. At least you know it's going to get to the right people that way. Include a link to this forum post if you don't want to have to repeat everything you wrote.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

I think that news site may have fixed the problem on their end. However I am finding that most of the BrightCove videos on lds.org aren't displaying full-screen correctly on my Windows 8 devices using IE. The symptom is as described in the answers.microsoft.com thread in my original post. The video goes to full screen for just a split second, then plays in a smaller rectangle in the top-left corner of the screen, while the rest of the screen simply has a white background.

I typically go to video.lds.org or gc.lds.org depending on what I'm going to watch.

I just demonstrated the problem with the following videos:
via gc.lds.org:
==================
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... atch=video

via video.lds.org:
==================
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video ... s?lang=eng

However, I also fust found one that is working correctly (which seems to be an anomaly):
via video.lds.org:
==================
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video ... s&lang=eng

I'm thinking the New Testament and the Doctrine & Covenants series videos are likely extremely similar and the only reason the full-screen works on one and not the other is because of some difference in code used when calling BrightCove...?

I sure would love to see this fixed.

Thanks all for your collaboration and discussion on this issue.

-
Doug
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

russellhltn wrote: What video where you looking at? I went to gc.lds.org and picked a talk at random. I also went to that news site and picked a video. Each time, "full screen" was just that. A video that completely filled my screen. This is under IE11.
Russell,

What desktop OS are you using? Are you using Windows 8 or Windows 7? 32-bit of 64-bit? Touch screen device? There's got to be a rhyme and reason to this.

I've owned and experienced this exact problem on the following Windows 8 touch-screen devices:
  • Surface RT (original)
  • Asus 11" touch ultrabook
  • Samsung Ativ SmartPC 500T
  • Dell Venue 8 Pro
  • Dell Venue 11 Pro (Core i5 version)
I'll bet we can find and identify the exact scenarios in which this issue exists if we can just collaborate a little more.

Thanks for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

All those links worked fine for me: Win7/64bit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kosifou

Post by kosifou »

I agree with issues highlighted. I am using a Surface 2 running IE11. Bible videos display full screen plus random news videos. The ones that don't work are general conference! What's going on?

Return to “Main Church Website”