Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the LDS.org website.
1968leocomeeatabite
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 am
Location: Payson, Ut. USA

Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby 1968leocomeeatabite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am

I have been wondering about how the rights and roles compare across the lds.org tools. Particularity: Calendar, Directory, Maps, Newsletter, and Lesson Schedule. More specifically the rights and roles of the ward and stake administrator. In my limited research I recommend that when you talk about specific you should check the help menu and determine how the administrator can be of help to these great tools. In General it might be a correct statement that the administrator has the rights and role to implement, adjust, and oversee these tools, for the enjoyment and benefit for the members of the Stake and Ward. With the exception of the Lesson schedules which only functions on the ward level. (check the help for how this applies to the Stake Administrators)
      1. Although in the help sections the list of administrators are written differently, for example in the calendar it might say Bishopric second counselor and in the Newsletter it might say 2nd counselor, or something similar, I am quiet sure that over the whole of the tools it is standardized. (Probably Bishopric second counselor) As long as these callings are entered into MLS as standard callings the correct rights should be given. Right?
      2. If I understand it all correctly all the administrators( within the Stake or Ward) have identical rights in each tool except for the following. The Ward Website Administrator, the Stake website administrator, and the Building Specialist. Rights? did I miss any?
      3. One should be aware that if he is a ward or stake website administrator his rights maybe just a little less than the rest of the administrators. If he is a building specialist he will only have rights to the Stake Calendar. Right?
      4. When you begin talking of the rights and roles to Leader resources and Clerk resources it then becomes important to check the access table. The rights and roles to these powerful tools goes hand in hand with the hand books and the ecclesiastical responsibility of the calling. Right?

So my major question here is this: If a Stake Presidency were considering Implementing a structure to get the tools on lds.org useful and helpful for there stake and wards what should they understand about the list of Stake administrator and Ward Administrators? That presents them some options. Would any of you care to expound on these options please? The major goal is to get the calendar working correctly, but might want the other tools to progress as well.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby jdlessley » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:27 pm

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:2. If I understand it all correctly all the administrators( within the Stake or Ward) have identical rights in each tool except for the following. The Ward Website Administrator, the Stake website administrator, and the Building Specialist. Rights? did I miss any?

The Building Specialist is not a default administrator. The calling can be added as an administrator to Calendar. But is not available to be added as an administrator to any other tool at the ward because that calling is not a standard position for a ward. I am not certain about adding that position as an administrator in stake Calendar.

The website administrator for both stake and ward does not have membership edit rights for those tools such as Directory and Maps. As such they cannot edit membership profiles in Directory or move household location markers in Maps.

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:3. One should be aware that if he is a ward or stake website administrator his rights maybe just a little less than the rest of the administrators.

This limitation is imposed for editing membership record information as explained previously.

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:4. When you begin talking of the rights and roles to Leader resources and Clerk resources it then becomes important to check the access table. The rights and roles to these powerful tools goes hand in hand with the hand books and the ecclesiastical responsibility of the calling. Right?

Yes. But note that callings with finance rights do not have access to Clerk Resources because finance functions have not been added online yet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby russellhltn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:52 pm

jdlessley wrote:The Building Specialist is not a default administrator.


According to the calendar it self, it is. Building Specialist is a standard MLS calling, not to be confused with Building Scheduler.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

1968leocomeeatabite
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 am
Location: Payson, Ut. USA

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby 1968leocomeeatabite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:30 pm

As jdlessley wrote building Specialist
not to be confused with building scheduler


Members in the following callings are default stake administrators for the calendar:

Stake president
Stake presidency first counselor
Stake presidency second counselor
Stake executive secretary
Stake clerk
Stake assistant clerk
Stake assistant clerk, finance
Stake assistant clerk, membership
Stake assistant clerk, technology specialist
Stake assistant executive secretary
Stake website administrator
Stake building specialist
(The callings are parallel for branches and districts – just replace “ward” with “branch” and “stake” with “district.”)

You can add other people as calendar administrators as well. However, if someone has been added as an administrator (rather than receiving administrator rights because of his or her calling), the person cannot see a list of other administrators, nor can he or she grant administrative rights to others]
This is directly from the calendar help.
It looks like what we are saying is that the "Stake building specialist" is listed as a default administrator all right. But I have gotten into my mind that this only applies to the calendar. Since the quote above is from the calendar, then I assume that we can say that he would only have rights in the Stake calendar. RIGHT?

So do we agree that the Building Specialist will have only rights to the Stake Calendar? Do we also agree that the Stake website administrator will not have rights to edit membership items in the other tools? (Maps, Directory, Newsletter & Lesson schedules) It appears then that the last two administrators listed above in the quote will have differing rights or no rights when referring to the other tools. But the 1st 10 of the 12 administrators will have identical rights when referrring to the 4 tools. (Maps, Directory, Newsletter, & Lesson Schedules) RIGHT?

One final question: The quote refers to entering people by name as administrators, I am sure that this is not desirable, but in the event that it was the decision to do so, Can that person be given rights to specific tools (Calendar)? If that is the case then the Building specialist would do just as well or better. How is this done? I guess that person would be entered as an editor for each calendar? It does say administrator, how is it done?

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby jdlessley » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:06 pm

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:It looks like what we are saying is that the "Stake building specialist" is listed as a default administrator all right. But I have gotten into my mind that this only applies to the calendar.

It only applies to the stake calendar.

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Do we also agree that the Stake website administrator will not have rights to edit membership items in the other tools? (Maps, Directory, Newsletter & Lesson schedules)

There is no membership data in Newsletter and Lesson Schedules. So there is no membership data to edit there.

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:The quote refers to entering people by name as administrators, I am sure that this is not desirable, but in the event that it was the decision to do so, Can that person be given rights to specific tools (Calendar)?

When administrators are added to the Calendar, by name or by calling, it is only for the Calendar and not for any other tool. The same is true for Newsletter. Maps has no ability to add administrators beyond the default administrators. Lesson Schedules has no ability to add administrators beyond the default administrators. However, Lesson Schedules gives limited administrator rights to ward/branch organization presidencies to add and edit classes for their organization only. They cannot add Lesson Schedules events or add classes for other organizations. At the stake level the default administrators for Lesson Schedules only have administrator rights for their home ward/branch.

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:It does say administrator, how is it done?

It is by default once the member is given the standard calling in MLS and updates CDOL, which then updates Calendar access rights.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

1968leocomeeatabite
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 am
Location: Payson, Ut. USA

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby 1968leocomeeatabite » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 am

Thank you much for you excellent posts. Now some more clarification please.
The Building Specialist is not a default administrator. The calling can be added as an administrator to Calendar. But is not available to be added as an administrator to any other tool at the ward because that calling is not a standard position for a ward. I am not certain about adding that position as an administrator in stake Calendar.
(by jdlessley

jdlessley wrote:
The Building Specialist is not a default administrator.


According to the calendar it self, it is. Building Specialist is a standard MLS calling, not to be confused with Building Scheduler.]
By russellhltn

I have checked the help section of the calendar. Under the Stake Administrator the last one of 12 on the list is "Stake building specialist". As said above this is not a standard position for a ward, and that makes sense because it is listed as one of the stake admin. and not ward admin. So I assume that (this is way obvious) that the stake standard callings are different than the ward standard calling. Therefore the "Stake Building Specialist" must be a standard calling in the Stake?

Question 2: I have compared the stake administrators(in the help) in the calendar and directory, and found them to be identical. Is it a mistake for the Building Specialist to be in the directory help list? It was my understanding that this position only was intended for the standard stake position and only had rights to the calendar. It has also been stated by others in this post the it only applies to the stake calendar.

Question 3:ON A WARD LEVEL: Is it safe to think that all the "Ward Administrators" have identical rights and roles in the Calendar, Directory, Newsletter, Lesson Schedule, and Maps, with the exception of the Ward Website Administrator? The rights that are not given to the Ward Website Administrator is membership editorial rights in the directory and the maps?
ON A STAKE LEVEL: Is it also safe to think that all the "Stake Administrators" have identical rights and roles in the Calendar, Directory, Newsletter, Lesson Schedule, and Maps, with the exception of the Stake Building Specialist? The rights of the "Stake Website Administrator" apparently has rights to edit directory profiles just the same as the other stake admin.? (It would also be appropriate to point out that there is no lesson schedules on the stake level. But the stake administrator has rights within his own ward.)

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby russellhltn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 am

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I have compared the stake administrators(in the help) in the calendar and directory, and found them to be identical. Is it a mistake for the Building Specialist to be in the directory help list?

Possibly. But note that the help file for directory is out of date. The number of administrators has reduced. So it's a moot point.


1968leocomeeatabite wrote:]ON A WARD LEVEL: Is it safe to think that all the "Ward Administrators" have identical rights and roles in the Calendar, Directory, Newsletter, Lesson Schedule, and Maps, with the exception of the Ward Website Administrator?

It's hard for me to say same "rights and roles" when what it means to be "administrator" is so different for each application.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

1968leocomeeatabite
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 am
Location: Payson, Ut. USA

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby 1968leocomeeatabite » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 am

russellhltn wrote:
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I have compared the stake administrators(in the help) in the calendar and directory, and found them to be identical. Is it a mistake for the Building Specialist to be in the directory help list?

Possibly. But note that the help file for directory is out of date. The number of administrators has reduced. So it's a moot point.

WOW could you explain? Are you saying that some of the administrator no longer are administrators in the directory? Was there a reason for this?

russellhltn wrote:
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:ON A WARD LEVEL: Is it safe to think that all the "Ward Administrators" have identical rights and roles in the Calendar, Directory, Newsletter, Lesson Schedule, and Maps, with the exception of the Ward Website Administrator?

It's hard for me to say same "rights and roles" when what it means to be "administrator" is so different for each application.

Could you explain further? I was trying to arrive at a consensus that the leader of a unit (Stake President or Bishop) could assign 1 of the administrators to be in-charge of the tools on lds.org. More specifically the 5 tools mentioned. Is my approach incorrect?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby russellhltn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:52 pm

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Could you explain further? I was trying to arrive at a consensus that the leader of a unit (Stake President or Bishop) could assign 1 of the administrators to be in-charge of the tools on lds.org. More specifically the 5 tools mentioned. Is my approach incorrect?

That is correct. But I can't say as I'm in favor of that approach. I would have preferred that admins be assigned individually to tools rather then all-or-nothing.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

1968leocomeeatabite
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 am
Location: Payson, Ut. USA

Re: Comparing "Administrator" amoung lds.org tools

Postby 1968leocomeeatabite » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm

I see spread the joy around some and have the work spread somewhat evenly. Thank you for your perspective. I suppose this would work well in a ward that is computer literate and can navigate the ins and outs of some technology. I am afraid in our stake that we are yet lacking people willing to charge into this online stuff. Or maybe our leadership just needs to get the people assignments and they will learn. As it stands around this area we seem to say, your in charge of the calendar and so therefore you are probably in charge of all the other tools. But I like your ideas that one of the assistant membership clerks be given the directory and maps, and the other assistant clerk has the lesson schedules and news letter and the exec. secretary has the calendar. Or even better give the news letter to a counselor and the lesson schedules to another counselor. this really sounds good to me and it could be given by assignment by the Unit leader to work today.


Return to “LDS.org Website”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest