Staying "logged in"

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mevans

Staying "logged in"

Post by mevans »

Over the last week or two, I've experienced problems on random lds.org pages with the particular page remembering that I'm logged in. Sometimes it just says "Sign In/Tools" in the upper right corner and other times it has my name instead of "Sign In".

When my name doesn't show up, then things like study tools don't work on the page, because it think's I'm not signed in. The page is https. If I click on "sign in" it just takes me back to the page (it doesn't ask me to sign in because it knows I am), but still doesn't show my name. Maybe I go back to the page later and it works.

In short, I'm always logged in, but some pages aren't completely aware of it. I've experienced occasional problems like this in the past, but it's happening rather frequently to me now.

Is anyone else experiencing such problems?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Staying "logged in"

Post by lajackson »

Yes. If the page hiccups at all during the load, the header does not accurately reflect the proper status and heading. My workaround is to click on the Sign In button again, which usually fixes it.

I have noticed in the last few weeks that I sometimes have to click two or three times before I get the menu I should have when I am signed in. This is one of the reasons I keep direct links loaded as browser bookmarks to the leader functions I use most often. (And it is faster.)
mulrich1

Post by mulrich1 »

I would like to see lds.org go one step further and give me the option of staying logged in indefinitely. I don't know how long before the auto-loggout kicks in, but it seems like I'm constantly having to log back into my account while studying.
I understand that some users have access to sensitive information that needs added security, but my study notebook does not fall under that category. The study notebook functionality is much stronger on the churches mobile apps than on lds.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mulrich1 wrote:I would like to see lds.org go one step further and give me the option of staying logged in indefinitely.
The likelihood of that is quite remote considering the security issues.
mulrich1 wrote:I don't know how long before the auto-loggout kicks in, but it seems like I'm constantly having to log back into my account while studying.
Your sign-in cookie expires after 1 hour of inactivity. When your find yourself logged out after navigating to different pages on LDS.org this could be related to the HTTP vs HTTPS issue discussed in the Accessing LDS.org via HTTP signs you out in most cases thread.
mulrich1 wrote:I understand that some users have access to sensitive information that needs added security, but my study notebook does not fall under that category.
The Notes application uses the LDS Account credentialling and login program. That is the same for many other sites and applications that do have confidential information. The single signin feature of LDS Account not only signs you into Notes but those other sites and applications.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
SilviaWinert

Post by SilviaWinert »

I am preparing a lesson and underline what I want to teach, when I open a scripture in the lesson, it opens a second window where I can underline etc, but when I get back to the original window or lesson it will not let me use the underline or anything else anymore, while I am still signed in. I can do all of it on my ipad but I cant prepare my lesson on a computer, I have to go back and for from the ipad to the computer when I want to print parts of the lesson. It is very inefficient and frustrating. Is there a setting that isn't allowing me to navigate different pages of lds.org and still be able to underline and make notes the whole time i am logged in.

Return to “Main Church Website”