No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the LDS.org website.
FowlerGR
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:59 am

No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby FowlerGR » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 am

Hello reader,

I found a couple of recent conference talks that I wanted to save digitally in their Ensign-magazine-formatted form. However, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to locate a PDF version of these Ensign articles (one is from 2003, the other is from 2007). I am pretty sure Ensign articles used to be available on lds.org as a PDF. What happened to the PDF versions of the Ensign?

Thank you,
Geoff

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby eblood66 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 am

FowlerGR wrote:Hello reader,

I found a couple of recent conference talks that I wanted to save digitally in their Ensign-magazine-formatted form. However, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to locate a PDF version of these Ensign articles (one is from 2003, the other is from 2007). I am pretty sure Ensign articles used to be available on lds.org as a PDF. What happened to the PDF versions of the Ensign?

Thank you,
Geoff

They're still available. For example, go to http://www.lds.org/ensign/2003/01?lang=eng and click on the first icon in the Download column and then select the Text option. It will download the PDF for January 2003.

FowlerGR
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:59 am

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby FowlerGR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Thank you for responding, eblood66. I was able to download the PDF version of Elder Ballard's May 2009 conference address from here: http://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/05/learn ... t?lang=eng. However, I was trying to find in PDF form in the Download section for these two Elder Holland conference addresses: http://www.lds.org/ensign/2007/11/the-o ... t?lang=eng and http://www.lds.org/ensign/2003/11/the-g ... d?lang=eng.

Any thoughts as to why some Ensign articles and conference addresses are available in PDF and others are not? Or am I missing something here?

Thank you,
Geoff

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby eblood66 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:33 pm

FowlerGR wrote:Thank you for responding, eblood66. I was able to download the PDF version of Elder Ballard's May 2009 conference address from here: http://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/05/learn ... t?lang=eng. However, I was trying to find in PDF form in the Download section for these two Elder Holland conference addresses: http://www.lds.org/ensign/2007/11/the-o ... t?lang=eng and http://www.lds.org/ensign/2003/11/the-g ... d?lang=eng.

Any thoughts as to why some Ensign articles and conference addresses are available in PDF and others are not? Or am I missing something here?

Thank you,
Geoff

Articles in older issues are not available for individual download in PDF form. Your only option is to download entire issues. The links for those issues are http://www.lds.org/Static%20Files/PDF/M ... nload=true and http://media.ldscdn.org/pdf/lds-magazin ... nload=true.

If you really need a PDF of just individual articles you could use a PDF printer (like CutePDF) to print just the pages you want.

FowlerGR
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:59 am

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby FowlerGR » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Thank you for your response, eblood66. I do not need a PDF version per se; I was looking for the PDF version in order to get the proper page numbers when quoting from or citing these Ensign articles. I did not realize that you can download the entire issue, and I think I will try that approach from now on.

Thank you again,
Geoff

ahallam
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby ahallam » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:56 pm

I too am only looking for page numbers.
Is there a standard format for whole issues?
The two examples given are different.

ahallam
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign? And for page number

Postby ahallam » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:58 pm

On the old lds.org site, page numbers were included in magazine articles. For the past few years I have gone to the josephsmith.net site where the old versions including page numbers were listed. They are no longer available there so I was hoping to get pdf versions, but they do not seem to available before 2000 or so. For example, I would like to include the page numbers in a reference to the article ``Becoming a Zion Society: Six Principles'' by R. Quinn Gardner in the February 1979 Ensign. And so on. The default for now is finding some more senior member of the Church who has kept paper copies.

jeanpitcher
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby jeanpitcher » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 pm

The links in LDS tech for downloading whole issues of back magazines is broken. I need some whole issues to search for topics and pictures for primary. I just need to browse old issues.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 3400
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby sbradshaw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:16 am

jeanpitcher wrote:The links in LDS tech for downloading whole issues of back magazines is broken. I need some whole issues to search for topics and pictures for primary. I just need to browse old issues.

Do you have a specific example of an issue you're trying to download, that's missing? What page are you going to to find the magazine issues?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15021
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: No more PDF versions of the Ensign?

Postby aebrown » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:15 am

eblood66 wrote:Articles in older issues are not available for individual download in PDF form. Your only option is to download entire issues. The links for those issues are http://www.lds.org/Static%20Files/PDF/M ... nload=true and http://media.ldscdn.org/pdf/lds-magazin ... nload=true.

Links and options have changed since this post was made over 3 years ago. Neither of those links work anymore, but the good news is that PDF versions of the individual talks are now available by clicking the Download button on these pages:


Return to “LDS.org Website”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest