Supported browsers for LDS.org tools

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the LDS.org website.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Supported browsers for LDS.org tools

Postby aebrown » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 pm

[Moderator note: This topic was split from the thread Error message when trying to save.]

jdlessley wrote:The only two supported browsers for LDS.org tools are Firefox and Chrome.

That's not an accurate conclusion. IE9 is certainly a supported browser for LDS.org tools; the article mentions one issue (image uploads in Newsletter) that doesn't work in IE9, but other than that, all the other mentions of lack of support for IE specifically mention IE7 and IE8. If the lack of image uploads disqualified a browser, then Firefox would be off the list, too, since image uploads don't work in the Directory in Firefox at this point.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Re: Error message when trying to save

Postby jdlessley » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 pm

aebrown wrote:
jdlessley wrote:The only two supported browsers for LDS.org tools are Firefox and Chrome.

That's not an accurate conclusion.
I didn't come to that conclusion. That is what the article states:
To ensure the best browsing experience using the new tools on LDS.org, update to a newer supported browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. This will typically resolve most issues encountered.


That statement does not mean other browsers will not work. It also does not mean you will not encounter issues with Chrome or Firefox either. But if you encounter issues with other browsers then try those two.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Error message when trying to save

Postby aebrown » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:36 am

jdlessley wrote:
aebrown wrote:
jdlessley wrote:The only two supported browsers for LDS.org tools are Firefox and Chrome.

That's not an accurate conclusion.
I didn't come to that conclusion.

Since the text of the article doesn't state that those are the only two supported browsers, it seems clear that it is a conclusion that you are drawing, not a quote from the article. But let's not quibble over that. Let's look at the text that clearly supports the conclusion that IE9 is indeed supported for LDS.org tools.

Tom Johnson wrote:The LDS.org directory, calendar, and other tools have various incompatibilities with Internet Explorer 7 and 8.

Only IE7 and IE8 are mentioned, not IE9. If IE9 were not supported, this statement would have had a period right after "Internet Explorer".

Tom Johnson wrote:About 67 percent of clerk computers are still running Windows XP, which is not compatible with Internet Explorer 9. So if Internet Explorer 7 or 8 is the only browser on your clerk computer, you won't have the best experience with many of the LDS.org tools.

That statement clearly implies that IE9 is supported. Otherwise why mention that XP doesn't support IE9? Why single out IE7 and IE8 as the problematic browsers on a clerk computer? If IE9 were not supported, there would be no reason for this paragraph at all.

Tom Johnson wrote:To ensure the best browsing experience using the new tools on LDS.org, update to a newer supported browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

You claim that this quote implies that only Chrome and Firefox are supported. But it is simply a recommendation, not an exclusionary statement of support.

Tom Johnson wrote:The local unit application teams do hope to support older versions of Internet Explorer...

The above quote is from the 10th comment. If IE9 were not supported, Tom would never have written this. He would have left out the words "older versions of". Since he included those words, it is obvious that at least one newer version (i.e., IE9) is indeed supported.

I wish the article had been clearer on this point. On a critical issue of which browsers are supported, it's unfortunate that the language is ambiguous. Perhaps Tom will see this discussion and make some edits. But the totality of the text clearly shows that IE9 is supported.


Return to “LDS.org Website”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests