Language problem

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
jolainedawnporter

Spanish

Post by jolainedawnporter »

When I log on to lds.org, it keeps posting to Spanish when I need English. Please help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jolainedawnporter wrote:When I log on to lds.org, it keeps posting to Spanish when I need English. Please help.
As near as I can tell, this problem is now fixed. See this earlier post in this thread. You may need to clear your browser's cache for the fix to become effective.

But then again, the post I linked to said that the problem could reappear in the future, so perhaps that's what you're seeing.

[Moderator note: I moved this post from the thread language detection to this thread, which is the main thread on this topic.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aebrown wrote:As near as I can tell, this problem is now fixed.
I tried clearing my cache and selected lds.org related cookies, but it still displayed in Japanese. (Note, this only affected Firefox for me.) Next, I tried clearing ALL cookies and restarting the browser, and it came to pass that English was once again restored to my view. Woohoo!

For those still struggling with this, try clearing your cache and all cookies and see if that helps.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BarkerAJ wrote:We know the cause . . . this may pop up again . . .
please continue to [report] in the future.

Windows XP, SP3, Firefox 15.0.1

Launch LDS.org (http://lds.org/)
Select Sign In/Tools
Select Calendar
Do my thing at the Calendar (still in English)
Click Sign Out
Return to LDS.org in Portuguese (Link had lang=por at the end of URL)

Open new tab in browser
Launch LDS.org (same Bookmark = http://lds.org/)
Page opens in English
Select Sign In/Tools
Select Sign In button
Sign in at LDS Account page
Select (Name)/Tools drop down
Select Calendar

Calendar opens with everything in Portuguese except for the list of calendars and building on the left side with the display boxes.

Header does not have a Sign Out link. I have to kill the tab to exit.

No matter how I get to the Calendar, it will now display in Portuguese until I select the language link and change it to English. After that, everything is ok.

Sometimes when the Calendar throws me back to LDS.org in Portuguese, the header links do not display with the exception of the world globe (which I have learned is the language selection link) and what I recall was the Entrar/(something) button which appears to be the menu drop down in Portuguese. There were no other links in the header.

Sometimes the Calendar header does not display a Sign Out link and I have to close the tab to exit.

After all this, if I exit Firefox and restart, I have no problem and everything goes back to English as normal, until I go to the Calendar (in English) and then come back to the LDS.org home page (in Portuguese).

Finally, after I did all of the above several times, while writing the first version of this post, I had timed out of the Forum and my post did not post and was lost. Miffed, I exited out of everything down to the desktop and went to eat dinner.

Returning, I tried to go through the process again to write this post, but everything remained in English and I cannot duplicate the problem. Go figure.

If it will help with troubleshooting (if I have the problem again) I am willing to kill selected cookies, but not all cookies. Deleting all cookies causes me about an hour of work and grief to get reestablished. But if there are specific cookies (lds.org, or 1o7, or something), I will be happy to try it out.

As I recall, even when I have had this problem before, closing and restarting the browser has solved the problem of resetting English until I exit the Calendar again. But this last time, all was well even after I did that.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BarkerAJ wrote:Your reporting of it is very helpful, please continue to do so in the future.

Today, I used the Maps function. There was no Sign Out link in the header, so I selected (Name)/Tools drop down and the Leader Resources link. At that page, I clicked on Sign Out and was taken to the home LDS.org page in Spanish. (Link = https://www.lds.org/?lang=spa)

And I was not signed out. I selected the Ideoma link and switched to English, then was able to go anywhere, because I was not signed out.

I tried to sign out from several other pages, and in each case I was taken to the home LDS.org page (now consistently in English), but I was never signed out. I could not find a link on any page that actually signed me out and required me to sign in again before I could go to pages that would otherwise be restricted if someone were not signed in.

[Edit: All of the following may be ignored. My new understanding of the format of the new header will explain the inconsistencies to which I refer here.]

This may or may not be related to the language problem, but I have found that the headers are very inconsistent and do not always display the links I would expect them to display. The same was true in my previous report yesterday.

(I do not mean to fork the thread. If others wish to discuss this aspect, please start a new thread. I merely add it here as another detail in case it helps with troubleshooting the language issue.)
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Turns out I had the same problem but not signed in trying to view the 2007 Worldwide Leadership Training that until about that time was on classic.lds.org but not reproduced on the current lds.org.

Got the February 2012 WWLT page in Spanish. Happened in Chrome, on a WinXP SP3 machine. Went to a different machine, no problems with it there, but that is where I found the Feb 2007 WWLT materials are missing, other than the Engsign printing of it in June of that year, also means the video version is gone as well as the original audio (Ensign version may be printed version read back).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Today, I used the Maps function. There was no Sign Out link in the header

The Maps application uses the new header now. So like all other pages that use the new header, there is no Sign Out link visible in the header; you use the (Name)/Tools dropdown to sign out. The Sign Out link is at the very bottom of that dropdown. If you are a leader or clerk with permissions for many sites, that Sign Out link might be so far down that you actually have to scroll your browser window to see it.

When you said "there was no Sign Out link in the header," did you mean that it wasn't visible as a separate link in the header (which is never the case with the new header), or that when you dropped down the (Name)/Tools link, you didn't see the Sign Out link in the dropdown?
lajackson wrote:so I selected (Name)/Tools drop down and the Leader Resources link. At that page, I clicked on Sign Out and was taken to the home LDS.org page in Spanish. (Link = https://www.lds.org/?lang=spa)

I was able to duplicate that problem (although in my case it changed to Japanese). But I can only duplicate it from Leader Resources (which uses the old header). Even when I use other applications that still use the old header (such as Directory or Calendar), clicking the Sign Out link takes me to the LDS.org home page in English. Only when I sign out from Leader Resources does my languages switch to Japanese.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:When you said "there was no Sign Out link in the header," did you mean that it wasn't visible as a separate link in the header (which is never the case with the new header), or that when you dropped down the (Name)/Tools link, you didn't see the Sign Out link in the dropdown?
Well I'll be. Kudos for the best hidden Sign Out link at any site I frequent that uses one. It never occurred to me that there might be such a critter at the bottom of the (Name)/Tools dropdown. And I certainly was not paying attention if this was discussed elsewhere.

So yes, when I said there was no Sign Out link in the header, I was referring to the top line, where as you point out there is no longer a link (on the new header). I never even thought to look at the bottom of the dropdown.

I have just gone back and found the link there, so it probably was not missing in the first place, rather simply as well hidden as the original source material for the Book of Mormon.
aebrown wrote:I was able to duplicate that problem (although in my case it changed to Japanese). But I can only duplicate it from Leader Resources (which uses the old header). Even when I use other applications that still use the old header (such as Directory or Calendar), clicking the Sign Out link takes me to the LDS.org home page in English. Only when I sign out from Leader Resources does my languages switch to Japanese.

In my previous post where I used Maps, not finding the Sign Out link I did go through the Leader Resources (old header) and wound up with the Spanish LDS.org home page. (Yesterday it was Portuguese.)

Using Sign Out from Leader Resources appears to be the magical point where things go wrong in each browsing session.

From the Directory, I have always gotten English on Sign Out. However, today I am finding that, while Directory normally starts in English, if I have been to Leader Resources and run into the Spanish Sign Out problem, if I now go to Directory, it starts in Spanish.

And if I go to the Calendar after using Sign Out from Leader Resources, sometimes it starts in another language (Spanish today), but more often if starts in English and then drops me to Spanish when I Sign Out directly from the Calendar.

However, all of this seems to be browser session unique. If I exit my browser and start again, everything remains in English until the point where I Sign Out from Leader Resources and get thrown to another language, at which point all of the other fun stuff begins to happen again in whatever language I stumbled upon.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Even when I use other applications that still use the old header (such as Directory or Calendar), clicking the Sign Out link takes me to the LDS.org home page in English. Only when I sign out from Leader Resources does my languages switch to Japanese.

Sometimes for me the Calendar does not display the old header. Is there anything that might be causing it to try and display the new one? It happens occasionally, but I cannot duplicate it every time.

I am not sure it is trying to display the new header. It might be that parts of the old header are not getting loaded properly.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We know the cause . . . this may pop up again . . .
please continue to [report] in the future.
On work computer this afternoon:

LDS.org
Under Sign in/Tools, select Sign In and then sign in
Under (Name)/Tools Select Leader Resources
Near the bottom right under Church Handbooks, select Go to Handbook 1
Handbook shows up in Spanish.

On home computer just a moment ago:
Same process, same result.

In both cases, the link to Handbook 1 ended in: ?lang=spa
In both cases, selecting the language globe and English returned the Handbook to English.

Return to “Main Church Website”