Website is temporarily down

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
dmaynes

Website is temporarily down

Post by dmaynes »

I have seen this page several times in the past few days:

http://oos.ldschurch.org/sitedown/

Context:
1- Searching the online scriptures
2- Trying to access the main Wiki page

Sometimes the page will display properly upon reload and sometimes the page I want to see will load if I navigate to the page from the main page.

Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4
Connection: DSL

Thanks,
Dennis
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'll check into the problem. It may have been a maintenance item.

Tom
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomw wrote:I'll check into the problem. It may have been a maintenance item.

Tom
I also got this message once last night while simply trying to look at a forum post. When I tried again a couple of seconds later, it worked fine.

This is probably unrelated, but there is an odd thing that I ran into while researching a reported problem with scriptures.lds.org.

If you use a URL of http://scriptures.lds.org/en/search?sea ... &do=Search in FireFox, it works fine, giving you the expected search results.

With IE7 it is different. When I paste that URL into the address bar, the double quotes are HTTP encoded to become %22, which then also works fine. But if I then manually edit the URL in the address bar to have double quotes again (rather than %22), and then attempt to go to that modified URL, I get "The website is temporarily down" -- every single time. It could certainly be argued that I'm doing it wrong, but I wonder if this might be related to some such problems people see, particularly as they follow links people may have embedded in posts, e-mails, or other web pages.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:I also got this message once last night while simply trying to look at a forum post. When I tried again a couple of seconds later, it worked fine.
This may have been me that caused that "momentary" outage. I was doing some maintenance on the server and when I tried to restart apache, I had a small mistake which caused a 30 second outage.

Tom

Return to “Help with this forum”