LDSTech forum reverted to phpBB theme after logging in?

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
lmcguire

Re: LDSTech forum reverted to phpBB theme after logging in?

Post by lmcguire »

I may be the only one, but I prefer the LDSWhite theme. However, when viewing new posts, the number of pages shows, but there's no way to navigate to pages beyond the first. (Threads used to have the problem and you guys fixed that (thank you), but new posts has the problem too.) So far, page navigation is the only thing I've noticed still missing.

Thanks,

Liz
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lmcguire wrote:I may be the only one, but I prefer the LDSWhite theme.
You're not the only one. Prosilver was done by folks to live and breathe forums.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The header in the ldswhite theme is acting funny. When I click on Sign in, my browser takes me to a link that ends in signmein and does not work. However, I can right click on the Sign in link, copy and paste the link into the browser URL window, and I am taken via ucp.php to the proper place to sign in.

Once I am signed in, the same thing happens with the Sign out link. Just clicking on it takes me to a link that ends in signmeout and does nothing. I am still signed in. However, you guessed it, I can right click on the Sign out link, copy and paste the link into the browser URL window, and I am signed out and taken to the Single Sign On page.

Why would my browser try to take me to old signmein and signmeout links when I click on them, but still have the correct links for the Single Sign On page when I copy and paste them?

There has always been some magic in the Headers at LDS.org, but this is a first for me.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

What I click "Sign in" the "working" circle appears to the left of the page tab title. It disappears but nothing has happened. I click again and the sign in page appears and I can sign in.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

lajackson: that's weird. I switched back to LDSWhite on the first day the prosilver theme became the default, and I've not had any trouble logging in or out. (I'm using the latest version of Firefox.) I've only used prosilver once, today, when there were multiple pages of new posts and that was the only way to navigate them. But I switched back once I was done with that list.

FWIW,
Liz
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lmcguire wrote:lajackson: that's weird.
I agree. And to make it more interesting, it worked just fine for the first day or two before I started having the problem.

Today the link tries to take me somewhere really weird and different than it did yesterday. Still doesn't work, but I can still copy and paste the link just fine. I just can't click on it.

I can go other places at LDS.org and the header links are dead. They just plain don't work. Then I can go to the same page from a different direction and the links will all work just fine.

But until ldswhite, they always worked here at the Forum before now.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Have you tried blowing away all your cookies from lds.org? And perhaps history? (I know, that can be a pain, but it's the only other thing I can think of that would explain why you see it and others don't - unless your account is in the "special" group <g>.)

Hmm, less drastic would be to try a different browser or computer to see if your account behaves the same there (would tell us if it's the browser vs. your account).

Liz
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lmcguire wrote:unless your account is in the "special" group <g>.
Well, I think I'm special, but I doubt that my account is. [grin]

It does it in variations on two different machines, Win 7/IE 11, and Win 10/FF[latest and greatest]. The Win 7/IE 11 machine comes up new and clean every day. The Win 10/FF[latest] is a normal laptop and usually works better because after a few passes at the site, things settle in and most of the features start to click.

Because the browsers are different, the pages display differently, but I am used to that.

It may have something to do with the convoluted set of callings I have at present. Of course computers are supposed to be programmed to handle challenging situations such as that. (I tell myself this every morning as the sun comes up.)

And I'm not complaining at all. It is more of a morbid fascination, I suppose, and I count my blessings that I am not the one tasked to program the header (or anything else for so many variations of OS/Browser defugalties).

Oh, yes. I've done the cookie/history and dump everything else thing. Personally, I think the site is complicated and takes a long time to load, and the browser gets bored and times out and stops loading just before it gets to some of the things I would really find useful. But no one has ever admitted that this may be a possibility.

And finally, if I had to prioritize the fixing of things such as this on my own personal list of wishes, I would put getting access to Online Donations first. I'll stop rambling now. I do appreciate the interest, though.

EDIT: Today on the Win7/IE11 machine, when I click on the Sign out link it just adds an ampersand and "signmeout" to the end of the current URL. It does this every time I click, so the third time I have the ampersand and "signmeout" added three times to the URL. I'll go sign out for real now. I have skills. :END OF EDIT
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

We pushed a new "ldswhite" that Tanner made from the new prosilver. It has a similar look and feel to the ldswhite3.1 theme, but it has the online indicator, the quick icons have button borders, the quick moderation menus are back. It should have all the features of prosilver now. I have moved everyone to this new style. You can switch still if you like. Reports?

What are you seeing on the signmein and signmeout? does the url have a # in it? I don't think the redirect code is expecting a #. We'll try to reproduce that. a &signmeout added on won't work at the end of a url containing a #.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One item - I found it hard to get to my user control panel. I finally found it it was under my name in the top banner. Granted, the prosilver does it the same way, but I wasn't looking in the top banner because I expected that to be consistent across all of lds.org and not have forum-specific functionality. With the prosilver, that drop-down name link is down in a "forum level" section.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Help with this forum”