Timed out

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
jirp

Timed out

Post by jirp »

It would be nice if these forums somehow saved the message if the login times out while writing the message. All other forums I participate in have gotten that fixed in the last few years but I just lost a longer message because of the fact that my account timed out. Most of them once I get through the login screen I am either taken back to my message or I can hit back and get back to my message to post it. Others warn me before going to the login screen to copy to clipboard or some other trick to save the message while getting logged in. Surely these boards can implements some answer there to prevent loss of message because of log out. I used to be in the habit of saving all messages to the clip board before post just in case but I have quit needing it mostly and had gotten out of the habit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Timed out

Post by russellhltn »

The forum software is a open source off-the-shelf that's been modified to integrate with LDS Account. If you know of another phpBB forum that prevents you from losing messages, I'd be interested.

The underlying problem is during the message composition, there is no communication between the browser and the server. After about 15-20 minutes of no communication, the server thinks you've gone away. One easy fix is to do a "preview" every 5 minutes or so.

Far more aggravating is a the firewall that every once in awhile has a hissy fit over reserved words in a certain combination and blocks the post. No time out, but your message is lost.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Help with this forum”