PM's don't appear to being sent

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
Biggles

PM's don't appear to being sent

Post by Biggles »

I responded to a PM yesterday. The system stated that it had been sent, but the Outbox still shows messages there and checking the Sent Messages folder shows nothing sent!

Can a Moderator/Administrator enlighten me, please!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: PM's don't appear to being sent

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:I responded to a PM yesterday. The system stated that it had been sent, but the Outbox still shows messages there and checking the Sent Messages folder shows nothing sent!

Can a Moderator/Administrator enlighten me, please!
The way phpBB manages private messages (PMs) is a bit odd in my opinion, but is helpful once you understand. It's certainly quite different from many email programs such as Outlook in an important regard.

Basically, when you send a PM, it goes into your Outbox. When the recipient opens it, it moves into your Sent Messages folder.

Most email programs put a message in your Outbox when you ask for it to be sent, and it moves into your Sent Messages as soon as it has actually been sent, regardless of whether the recipient has read it (or even received it).

Once you get this distinction clear, it's nice to have a way to know whether the recipient has opened the PM.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Many thanks for that! All those poor recipients will be flooded with my PM's now! :-)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Biggles wrote:Many thanks for that! All those poor recipients will be flooded with my PM's now! :-)
Since your outbox contains PM's not yet received by the recipient, I believe you can go there and delete ones you no longer wish to be sent.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thank you all! I've deleted the extra messages now.

I concur that the PM's are not handled intuitively at all! At least you do have the option to delete any unwanted/undelivered messages. Thanks to aebrown & Mikerwaved for the insights into that aspect!
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Either CleggGp and kissac, who PM'd me at the beginning of the week, haven't been logged in since then, or there is a problem with my replies to them as they are still sitting in my Outbox. I hope that it is the former. I wait with crossed fingers. :)
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Further update! One of the PM's has been picked up, so it would appear I was panicking over nothing. :)

Return to “Help with this forum”