Subscription Email

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
harddrive

Subscription Email

Post by harddrive »

I use to be getting notification in my email about post to forums that I'm subscribed to.

Lately, I haven't been getting any notifications of new topics. Is there something that I should be doing to keep it going or should it be doing it automatically without my intervention?

If I have to do something then what do I need to do?

Please let me know because it is easier for me to scan my email for things that may be of an interest to me and need to keep up then coming to the forum everyday.

Thanks
Terry
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Subscription Email

Post by aebrown »

The first thing I'd do is go into the User Control Panel and then choose the Manage Subscriptions tab. There you can see the forums and topics you've subscribed to.

If you don't see the forums and topics you expect to see, then somehow you've become unsubscribed, and you'll need to subscribe again.

If you do see forums and topics you expect to see, and you know there have been new topics in those forums or new posts in those topics, and you haven't received email, then you should check your Account Settings to make sure your email address is correct, and your Global Settings to make sure that sending email to you is enabled.

If all that looks good, but you're still not receiving emails, then post back and we'll look into it. I am subscribed to a couple of forums and I do receive emails when there are new topics posted there, so the notification system is working; I think it must be some sort of configuration setting somewhere that's affecting you.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Thank you AE for letting me know this stuff.

I have checked my subscriptions and I have 4 groups, which are:

PVC
Computers
Meeting house Internet
Building to Buildings

I also checked my account setting and it has my correct email address in there.

Finally I checked my global settings and the only items that I have marked as no are Hide my online status and pop up window on new private messages.

Otherwise everything looks good. I check my spam folder in my email and they aren't there. I also got notified of your response to this post, so it is working. I just don't get notification on new post in the 4 subscriptions that I have set.

Thanks for letting me know.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

I'm also struggling with following LDSTech Forums using the relatively new system. I used to get what could be called digest e-mail notifying of new message postings and new Forum topics. Suddenly a few messages simply reported that a topic I was following had been updated and no more messages would be sent until I visited the forum topic (or something like that). And I think I've been auto-unsubscribed from some Forums. I really miss ongoing summaries of changes.

In an attempt to follow instructions in this thread I learned that I can't log-in to edit my account settings. It's not clear why I can't, though when I try to log-in and edit my account my password is reported as invalid. I'm currently logged in to the Forums, and adding this message, so my password has some level of validity.

I'm wondering how I contact someone for help fixing my account?

John
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jpjonesxyz wrote:I'm also struggling with following LDSTech Forums using the relatively new system. I used to get what could be called digest e-mail notifying of new message postings and new Forum topics. Suddenly a few messages simply reported that a topic I was following had been updated and no more messages would be sent until I visited the forum topic (or something like that).
The way phpBB works, you can subscribe to any forum, or to a topic (thread) within a forum. The link for either of these options is at the very bottom of the page. When you are subscribed to a forum, you'll receive an email telling you that there is at least one new topic in the forum; when you subscribe to a topic, you'll receive an email when there is a new post in the topic.

Perhaps someone has a better memory on this, but with the former forum software (vBulletin) I don't recall anything like a "digest email"; I recall the subscription options as being quite similar to phpBB.
jpjonesxyz wrote:And I think I've been auto-unsubscribed from some Forums.
There may have been some transition issues between vBulletin and phpBB, but I haven't heard of any unexplained "auto-unsubscriptions" since the move to phpBB. If you can provide specifics, I'll be happy to track this down.
jpjonesxyz wrote:I really miss ongoing summaries of changes.
I'm not sure what you are referring to here, unless you're talking about the "digest email" again.
jpjonesxyz wrote:In an attempt to follow instructions in this thread I learned that I can't log-in to edit my account settings. It's not clear why I can't, though when I try to log-in and edit my account my password is reported as invalid. I'm currently logged in to the Forums, and adding this message, so my password has some level of validity.
You shouldn't have to log-in to edit your account settings. In your User Control Panel, on the Profile tab, in the "Edit Account Settings" section, there is a place that looks like you can change your password. I don't know if that section can be hidden, but you should definitely NOT enter anything in any of those password fields. It certainly won't help, since your login is controlled by your LDS Account, and anything you enter there would at best be ignored.

If you ignore that particular section, you should be able to change any of your settings on any of the other tabs or sections of the UCP.
jpjonesxyz wrote:I'm wondering how I contact someone for help fixing my account?
This forum section is the right place to get help with LDSTech.

From what you've said so far, my first thought is that your account is just fine, and you are just seeing odd behavior when you enter information in the password fields I mentioned above. Post back here if you can't change other settings on the UCP.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Perhaps someone has a better memory on this, but with the former forum software (vBulletin) I don't recall anything like a "digest email"; I recall the subscription options as being quite similar to phpBB.
The subscription options were very similar, except that I believe there was an option in vBulletin to receive the actual text of the post. This is no longer available in phpBB. And I miss it.
rkotter

Post by rkotter »

I am seeing a similar problem. I receive emails from the forum at my old email address, which is not the email address associated with my LDS Account. If I go to "Edit Account Settings" page at https://tech.lds.org/forum/ucp.php?i=pr ... g_details#, my old address is showing. It prompts me for my password, but it does not accept my LDS Account password. So, how do I change the email address associated with the forum?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rkotter wrote: So, how do I change the email address associated with the forum?
Starting in the black tool bar in the top of the page:
User Control Panel > Profile Tab > Edit account settings
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rkotter

Post by rkotter »

russellhltn wrote:
rkotter wrote: So, how do I change the email address associated with the forum?
Starting in the black tool bar in the top of the page:
User Control Panel > Profile Tab > Edit account settings
As I said in my earlier post, the "Edit account settings" page asks me for my password, but my current LDS Account password (which I used to log into the forum) is rejected. What do I do now?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rkotter wrote:As I said in my earlier post, the "Edit account settings" page asks me for my password, but my current LDS Account password (which I used to log into the forum) is rejected.
You are not actually being asked for your password. Yes, there are fields where it looks like you could change your password, but that doesn't work because the forum is integrated with LDS Account, and so you can only change your password through LDS Account.

In any case, just ignore those fields that deal with the forum password. Instead, simply enter your email address and click Submit.

Return to “Help with this forum”