Why am I getting emails...

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
howie021

Post by howie021 »

I've unchecked "receive team emails" in my profile. Will this prohibit me from receiving "important" information that may come via email?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

howie021 wrote:I've unchecked "receive team emails" in my profile. Will this prohibit me from receiving "important" information that may come via email?
Yes. It's all or nothing.

UPDATE: According to Tim Riker in this post, it is not all or nothing -- the checkbox for "Receive team emails" applies only to these membership emails. I apologize for making an incorrect and misleading assumption.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
howie021

Post by howie021 »

Wow...that's too bad. One would think that "join and drop from project" emails could be separated from "important information about the project". Why is it significant to me that someone joins or drops from a project that it's mandatory that I get an email about it?
howie021

Post by howie021 »

An FYI to those reading this thread. I just got this email:

I just found out (thanks to those who notified me) that the messages for members joining/leaving the project are going to the whole team. I'll get in touch with the admin who set up the list for us and find a way to stop it asap.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for swamping your inboxes with spam.

Jeff Brown
LUApps Beta Project Lead
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

Note: the "Receive Team Emails?" option in your tech.lds.org profile page is supposed to control whether you get the join/leave/reassign emails for all projects.

https://tech.lds.org/?option=com_talent ... ew=profile

This setting does NOT effect your google groups email. Use the Google Groups subscription options to set that.

I'll work on adding a this information to the bottom of those emails.

https://tech.lds.org/jira/browse/LDSTECH-613
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TimRiker wrote:I'll work on adding a this information to the bottom of those emails.

Thanks for the clarification. It would also be good to add some clarifying text on the Profile page near the "Receive Team Emails" checkbox (or reword the checkbox text somehow) so that project members understand that they will still receive project-related emails even if they uncheck that box.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mohhess

Post by mohhess »

aebrown, I'm sorry, but I believe your responses are incorrect. These issues are happening for MULTIPLE Projects. I'm getting hundreds of emails, yes mostly from LUA, but also from all of my other Projects as well (ex: Gospel Library IOS App). There is a misconfiguration, or bug in the system. Things need to be taken more seriously and looked into...not just ignored. Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mohhess wrote:aebrown, I'm sorry, but I believe your responses are incorrect.

Which ones? What specifically do you think is incorrect?
mohhess wrote:These issues are happening for MULTIPLE Projects. I'm getting hundreds of emails, yes mostly from LUA, but also from all of my other Projects as well (ex: Gospel Library IOS App).

I never said they weren't happening for multiple projects. I merely highlighted LUA Beta Testing since I knew that it had had a flurry of activity in the last couple of days.
mohhess wrote:There is a misconfiguration, or bug in the system.

Have you tried adjusting your Profile setting to turn off the "Receive Team Emails" option, as Tim Riker recommended? What leads you to say that it is a bug in the system? I didn't understand how it worked myself, but now that I know that the "Receive Team Emails" controls only those team-membership-related emails, but not other project emails, I can turn off that option and life is good. The option could have been named and described better, but I don't see where there is a bug.
mohhess wrote:Things need to be taken more seriously and looked into...not just ignored. Thanks.
I see no reason for you to say that these issues are being ignored. Tim Riker posted his response very quickly, which provides helpful information about how users can turn off these message. He also created a Jira to make an additional change to help improve user's understanding of how it worked. Sounds like a pretty good response to me....
bradh

Post by bradh »

Thank you aebrown and Tim Riker for your work, suggestions, and support. :D
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

The LUApps Beta project is new, and just had a google group created for it in the last couple days, which is why the emails started. Most projects already had google groups created, and members of those projects have been receiving the same leave/join emails. However, the LUApps Beta project is much bigger than most (all) the other projects, so there is a lot more traffic on those projects, and therefore a lot more annoying email.

The list is being reconfigured so the leave/join emails will only go to the project lead (me) and the google group can be used just for sending important announcements about the project.

Thanks to all those who weathered the recent storm of emails. I look forward to the great contributions you will all make to this project.

Return to “Help with this forum”