Searching forum suggestion

Having a problem with the Forum, Wiki, Jira or other aspect of tech.lds.org? This is the place.
dlongmore

Searching forum suggestion

Postby dlongmore » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:09 am

How does one search for posts dealing with "paf" or other such three letter acronymns when the search must be at least 4 characters? I suggest that it be changed if possible. If your not able to then once google starts indexing the posts one could do a google search like so "paf site:beta.ldstech.lds.org/forum". At least I have done that with other forums and it has worked.

WelchTC

Postby WelchTC » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:58 am

Try searching for "paf*". The search supports wildcards and appending a * to the end of a 3 letter word seems to work.

If we move the size down lower, it seems to grow the db substantially.

Tom

dlongmore

Postby dlongmore » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:08 pm

Does it work for anyone else? I tried it before posting and just now and do not seem to have any luck. I know there are posts out there with the word PAF in them. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Help me.

WelchTC

Postby WelchTC » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Hmmm, PAF* does not seem to work. RSS* does, however. I'll have to look into it.

Tom

thedqs
Community Moderators

Postby thedqs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:26 pm

So far from what I tested PAF is the ONLY one that doesn't work. I don't know if you have a word blocking part of the site but it might be interfearing with that. Or maybe PAF is a special search keyword (Print in Arial Format). :D

I tested it with SuperPAF (Works) *rPAF (Doesn't work) Gen* (works) *PAF** (Doesn't work)
- David

WelchTC

Postby WelchTC » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:47 pm

My paf* was a trick I discovered to get around the 3 character limitation. So I would not be surprised if it did not work.

Tom

thedqs
Community Moderators

Postby thedqs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:59 pm

I think I solved it. The search engine is limiting the search to 4 letters rss* = rss? but not "rss " because rss is under 4 letter. A modification saying that * can be a space might do the trick.

Hope that made sense.
- David

thedqs
Community Moderators

Postby thedqs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Also placing a * at the front of a word in the search does nothing. It will just take them out. That means you have to know the first part of the word, which I guess doesn't matter unless you are looking for *PAF*.
- David

dlongmore

Postby dlongmore » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:41 pm

Once you have worked out a permanent solution can someone updated the "Sticky: Searching the Forum" under the announcement. I am thinking this question will likely come up sometime in the future. Also searching MLS* seems to have a similiar result for me.

JasonG-p40

Postby JasonG-p40 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:01 pm

I get nothing when searching for PAF, but MLS worked just fine.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines

Return to “Help with tech.lds.org”