Simplified HT Reporting Site

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nimebe wrote:As far as I'm concerned, any data obtained from MLS is sensitive. If however, Brother Smith gives me his e-mail address personally and gives me permission to send him an email, his e-mail is not sensitive data even if it is the same email address he has listed on LUWS.
OK, let's assume for the moment, that all information on the site comes from people entering information about themselves. That sounds like a defensible position. Where can we go with that idea?
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

RussellHltn wrote:OK, let's assume for the moment, that all information on the site comes from people entering information about themselves. That sounds like a defensible position. Where can we go with that idea?
Either entering it themselves or writing it down and giving it to someone to enter for them. I don't think there is a difference.

mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

nimebe wrote:As far as I'm concerned, any data obtained from MLS is sensitive. If however, Brother Smith gives me his e-mail address personally and gives me permission to send him an email, his e-mail is not sensitive data even if it is the same email address he has listed on LUWS.
Yes, I agree that the "do you give me permission to have your info" model could get us somewhere. However, that person does not have permission to give out the information of the families he or she visits.

I personally don't think the solution is useful without the already filled in info about the families you teach.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

RussellHltn wrote:OK, let's assume for the moment, that all information on the site comes from people entering information about themselves. That sounds like a defensible position. Where can we go with that idea?
Given that assumption, I think we start simple. Build a module that excepts basic information from the home teachers themselves: Name, email address. We don't really even need the name.

The system generates an email to remind and offers the available options for reporting:

1) Click the link, fill in the form, send it off
2) Print the form, fill it out, give it to quorum leadership
3) Call your district supervisor and here's the information they've given us for you to contact them

The system can track simple statistics like how many reports are issued, how many are each type of visit etc. None of these reports requires any personal data.

The district supervisors can enter any reports they're given or have the quorum, secretary do it; that is if it is desired to use whatever statistical analysis we can build in.

The Home Teacher can enter the Family names and details about the family because that information is simply emailed to the appropriate local authority, not stored on the system. The code would be open source so any one could check to see that this is so.

This is just what I've come up with in these few minutes today. There is some potential there.

nbflint

Post by nbflint »

mkmurray wrote:I personally don't think the solution is useful without the already filled in info about the families you teach.
And, you may be right. The available options may not be useful enough to entice home teachers to use the system. The only way to know for sure though is to test it out. Since this is a very simple model, it won't take long to put together. I'll run it by my quorum president and see if he wants to try it out. If not, then that may be strike one, two, and three.

brado426

Post by brado426 »

Good luck, nimebe. I don't mean to discourage you with what you are trying to do.

It is true that once you've had the functionality, it is tough to go back to anything less... so maybe that has something to do with my previous comments. Maybe some benefit could be realized. I'm anxious to hear about your progress and results.

I've found that even with all the data there, many Home Teachers do not report electronically if they need to report "Not Visited" because let's face it... no one wants to report that they didn't do something... including me. :) That is why I added the ability to re-transmit requests for reporting.

Brad O.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

brado426 wrote:Good luck, nimebe. I don't mean to discourage you with what you are trying to do.

It is true that once you've had the functionality, it is tough to go back to anything less... so maybe that has something to do with my previous comments. Maybe some benefit could be realized. I'm anxious to hear about your progress and results.

I've found that even with all the data there, many Home Teachers do not report electronically if they need to report "Not Visited" because let's face it... no one wants to report that they didn't do something... including me. :) That is why I added the ability to re-transmit requests for reporting.

Brad O.
Thanks Brado. Like I said, ultimately I'm cheering you all the way! I just have a nagging desire to try something simpler and see if it doesn't help in the interim.

brado426

Post by brado426 »

You have no idea how well I understand your 'nagging desire.' I have the same problem.

Please let me know if you ever learn of a way to make it go away. :)
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

brado426 wrote:You have no idea how well I understand your 'nagging desire.' I have the same problem.

Please let me know if you ever learn of a way to make it go away. :)

If you are married, your wife would probably pay as much for the remedy as mine would!

thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

So if I understand it you just want a auto-reminder to go out? In that case you could set that up using LUWS as a calendar item for the RS or the Elders. As for reporting, those numbers themselves might be considered sensitive information, so it you would have to report in person anyway.
- David

Return to “Other Member Technologies”