Online Financial Tools

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
WelchTC

Please be mindful

Post by WelchTC »

Please be careful in discussing methods of paying tithing. The methods of paying your tithes and offerings is something that should be discussed between you and your ecclesiastical leaders. I fear that we are straying from a technology discussion to a permission or policy discussion which these forums are not prepared for or designed to accept.

Tom
tedarchdeacon

Post by tedarchdeacon »

tomw wrote:Please be careful in discussing methods of paying tithing. The methods of paying your tithes and offerings is something that should be discussed between you and your ecclesiastical leaders. I fear that we are straying from a technology discussion to a permission or policy discussion which these forums are not prepared for or designed to accept.

Tom
Tom, I respect your position on this but don't understand it. Local Bishops (our ecclesiastical leaders) will have no idea how to pay tithing electronically.

Please explain further your concern...
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Ted wrote:Tom, I respect your position on this but don't understand it. Local Bishops (our ecclesiastical leaders) will have no idea how to pay tithing electronically.

Please explain further your concern...
Your leaders will have handbooks and resources at the Stake level and at the Church HQ level that they can use to find the information that you request. I want to keep the discussions focused on technology. I know that this discussion started with technology but I fear that people may feel that the Church is endorsing a particular process or method of paying tithes. For example, questions arise on if the Bishop will have records of the tithing. This will lead to other questions with get us further off topic.

Thanks for your input.

Tom
jmaxwilson

Sorry

Post by jmaxwilson »

I realize that my earlier post in this thread probably violates the proscription on "religious discussion" put forth in the new Code of Conduct. I'm sorry if I have contributed to the problem. Feel free to delete my previous comment. Thanks.
johnshaw

Tithing Settlement

Post by johnshaw »

Ted wrote:Will the Bishop have a record of tithing paid directly to headquarters?
Just so this thought is completed, the church sends to the individual, just like the ward would, the record of donations, first for tithing settlement and then for Tax Purposes.

For additional information, see here http://www.lds.org/ldsfoundation/ways/d ... -1,00.html
SHopkins

Post by SHopkins »

E-payment for tithing and fast offering is a reality in wards around Australia.
Thanks for our local Church admin office, we have been able to do so for the past 6 months or so. It is easy and convenient for members and means the bishop/clerks are able to do the financial work much faster each Sunday.
We use an online system called BPay ( http://www.bpay.com.au ). We have a customer reference number and each donation category has a unique biller code (to make sure tithing goes to tithing, etc).
I print a receipt of each transaction to help me at Tithing Settlement time.
Not sure if the Church pays a fee for registering with BPay but my financial institution does not charge me any fees. (I use it to pay as many bills online as I can).
It works great! And I still get the promised blessing for paying tithes and a generous fast offering!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

My parents are currently overseas with my dad's job. They have to mail their tithing checks to the States because the Church is not allowed to have any ward bank account over there and barely be an organized religion. I've personally had no need for anything like this, though it would be convenient. However, my parents are practically begging for something like this. It just would be so much faster and more secure to have their tithing paid electronically from their American bank account(s).

I've seen the Yahoo groups link, but I'm not sure I want to create an account nor join the group just to get the info. Can somebody else make an enrollment form or instructions available? Does this conversation need to be had with a local ecclesiastical leader?

Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ah, the ability to reply to a closed thread :D
mkmurray wrote:Can somebody else make an enrollment form or instructions available?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Ah, the ability to reply to a closed thread :D
LOL, yeah I forgot it was closed. With my parents' situation, I looked at this conversation in a different light. At least now anyone can read this and make their own decision and use this paperwork to get started if they desire.

Thanks again.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”