Stake or Ward Phone Directory Template

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
weaverl-p40

Automated Template

Post by weaverl-p40 »

I could write a great program to do all this automatically in vba. If I am ever called to be a clerk, I'll make it and post it. :)
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

If you have those kinds of skills, it is more like a matter of "when" than of "if.":D
geklinger-p40

Still Seeking Stake Directory Template

Post by geklinger-p40 »

It seems that there would be 2,000+ Stake Clerks that should be anxiously awaiting some sort of a method of formatting either the MLS data or the Stake and Ward website data into a standardized directory. This would serve eliminate innumerable hours spent manually updating Excel spreadsheets in each stake.

I just don't want this one to die on the vine. We've been struggling with it for months and just can't seem to get over the hump. In the meantime we keep getting nudged to go back to the cut/paste/data enter mode.:eek:

Help, geklinger
kathym

Post by kathym »

Is there a chance you could repost your templates? It sounds perfect for what I am trying to do, but the links no longer work Kathy
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kathaleen1 wrote:Is there a chance you could repost your templates? It sounds perfect for what I am trying to do, but the links no longer work Kathy
I'm guessing you directed this question to jsweeny, who posted a template in this post. I have contacted him, and he graciously sent the files to me, which I have now attached to that post.
jdcopel

Compact Directory Maker

Post by jdcopel »

For anyone who comes across this thread in the future, they may want to consider the project I've got posted over at sourceforge. The project is called LDS Compact Directory and can be found here: http://ldscompactdir.sf.net

This program can read either MLS or LUWS exported data and churn out a PDF file with very minimal effort. It will attempt to put everything on 1 page front and back. If that would shrink the text too much it forces additional pages. Just check some boxes and mash a button and your on your way.

Check out the page above for more info.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mongi3 wrote:For anyone who comes across this thread in the future, they may want to consider the project I've got posted over at sourceforge. The project is called LDS Compact Directory and can be found here: http://ldscompactdir.sf.net

This program can read either MLS or LUWS exported data and churn out a PDF file with very minimal effort. It will attempt to put everything on 1 page front and back. If it that would shrink the text too much it forces additional pages. Just check some boxes and mash a button and your on your way.

Check out the page above for more info.
Looks like a good program. There are some issues that need to be fixed. Those are best addressed at the web site rather than here in these forums.

Edit: I have provided five bugs for the program at the sourceforge bug tracking for the program.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

mongi3 wrote:For anyone who comes across this thread in the future, they may want to consider the project I've got posted over at sourceforge. The project is called LDS Compact Directory and can be found here: http://ldscompactdir.sf.net
It did a good job for me. Thanks!
cordesa

Post by cordesa »

Thanks for the program. It does a nice job. Would be great if it could also bring down photos from the LUWS. I have to maintain a directory with MLS data + photos from the site manually. :-)
bstein

Post by bstein »

I developed a way to produce a ward directory using mostly freeware for Windows, and what's not free is available on a ward computer:
* Picasa (for cropping and retouching)
* FastStone Image Viewer (for creating contact sheets)
* Word (or OpenOffice, but I don't have instructions for it) to assemble the directory and add other content
* doPDF (to create a PDF)

Members' photos are JPG's, their names are the filename, and additional information can be added as JPEG comments (in FastStone, also requiring a small configuration change). And one could use ReNamer to swap the first and last names--I have presets for that, if desired.

The template is a .doc, and I've written instructions for configuring and for the creation process, I've saved a settings file for FastStone (some options are quite cumbersome to adjust correctly), and I've created placeholder images for missing photos (male and female).

Even though I'll still tweak something now and then, the process is solid (even though most of the software used could be improved). Because of the high turnover in my ward (weekly move-ins and/or -outs), I've created a new directory every two months, having started in March of this year, and it only takes me couple hours to do; and that time could be cut down dramatically if I made little changes as they came.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”