LDS Linux

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

RussellHltn wrote:I believe the success of netbooks is reflective of the movement away from the PC toward the browser. It seems clear to me that our success in that area of the church is going to ...[be] about embracing whatever those people use.

I must agree. The web browser truly is the future.

Todd
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

todd wrote:The web browser truly is the future.
But it's only useful in areas with a good communications infrastructure. I'm not so sure what the future will hold for the 3rd world as they develop. Right now, I think it's going to be more like a mobile browser than the kind we're used to. The price structure implemented will play a big role in development. I don't think the browser would ever become as popular as it has without "unlimited" high speed Internet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Kako-p40

Post by Kako-p40 »

i'm agree with RussellHltn, web browser are not the "Panacea" for all information needs, just for the cost of internet speed, specialy in under pour countries. But i'm belive the research and development for new, cost-effecttive and open insfraestruture of technology will be more affordable for this countries and enterprices beside buying out-of-the-box branded and closed tecnologies. The effectiveness of this idea are based in long-terms research, like india, china or brasil for example.

This need for more controlable and researchable tecnology are the base for the growing-faster of linux outside of US.

I belive the "cloud" infraestructure are the future not the web browser development, application what can search specific information and show in matter of second, maps and direcctions, metadata... cross reference, multimedia complementation of the information, that's the future.

In simple words, "whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want..."
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

I have been working on a mobile website. You can find it http://www.toddrichardson.com/test/. This route seems, to me, to be the wave of the future. Using your cell phone, you can access your cloud applications. Google and MSN both have mobile versions of their web portals and, in turn, their cloud applications.

Todd
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

todd wrote:I have been working on a mobile website. You can find it http://www.toddrichardson.com/test/. This route seems, to me, to be the wave of the future. Using your cell phone, you can access your cloud applications. Google and MSN both have mobile versions of their web portals and, in turn, their cloud applications.

Todd
Todd I am sorry but I have found it hard to follow your opinion about it all. You have gone from preaching Linux to suddenly believing the web browser is the answer to prayers and now the latest inspiration comes from the "cloud".

Apart from that I am not sure what the relevance of your link is? Is it suppose to do or show something?
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

dkjorgi wrote:Todd I am sorry but I have found it hard to follow your opinion about it all. You have gone from preaching Linux to suddenly believing the web browser is the answer to prayers and now the latest inspiration comes from the "cloud".

Apart from that I am not sure what the relevance of your link is? Is it suppose to do or show something?

Linux and either WebKit or Gecko. That is what I am talking about. It is all open source. Put it together and you have LDSOS. Palm has done it and called it Palm WebOS. If you don't like my idea, that's okay, but don't make fun of it.

Todd
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

todd wrote:If you don't like my idea, that's okay, but don't make fun of it.
I don't think he was making fun of it. The idea is a little confusing to me.

Are you saying that mobile devices will be the common means to access the Internet in the future? Is your site intended to be an example of a simple site that a mobile device can easily access, rather than the more complicated sites usually seen on the Internet?

If that is what you are saying, I think I understand it. If you are trying to say something else, I think I am a little confused, that's all.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

todd wrote:Linux and either WebKit or Gecko. That is what I am talking about. It is all open source. Put it together and you have LDSOS. Palm has done it and called it Palm WebOS.
What is LDSOS? What is it's purpose?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

First of all, I started this thread in 2007; my ideas have changed since then.

If you look at the code of http://www.toddrichardson.com/test/, it has some very important differences from standard xhtml code. Just looking at it with a standard browser, you might think it is a rather dopey site. The hard part has been to make it not look goofy when viewing it with a cell phone. There are not a lot of resources out there to tell you how to do it. The one I have relied heavily on has been http://www.ready.mobi.

LDSOS is a dream of mine. Probably will never go anywhere.

In summary, I want to work on an OS that is LDS. I need, however, to figure out how to make a good "mobile" site so that I can better serve those Church leaders who are working off of their Blackberry.

Todd
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

todd wrote:If you look at the code of http://www.toddrichardson.com/test/, it has some very important differences from standard xhtml code. Just looking at it with a standard browser, you might think it is a rather dopey site.
When I go to the URL you give, I get only a black band at the top of the page with the word header centered in it (header place mark?). That is followed by the word content (content place mark?) and then another black band with the word footer centered in it (footer place mark?) That is it. I can view your code but nothing other than as I described is displayed. I am using IE7.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Other Member Technologies”