LDS Linux

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

midgleyne wrote:I've been using ntfs-3g on my Ubuntu desktops at home and have had no problems reading to and writing from NTFS partitions. It's a part of the extra repositories as of Feisty Fawn 7.04. Also, I've encountered no problems due to usage rights, but that is an interesting question about encrypted files.

NTFS drivers have been included with the linux kernel source for a couple of years. They are marked as experimental, and are not included in binary form on most distributions. If you compile your kernel / modules, and select the EXPERIMENTAL flag, you should see read / write NTFS as a filesystem option on ALL linux distributions.

I have used NTFS with linux a few times without problems. I have not played with permissions or whatnot, but I haven't run into problems with them either. In my experience, 'EXPERIMENTAL', if included in the stable releases is much more stable than most 'beta' software from commercial companies. NOT so stable I would use it on a production system, but stable enough that unless you do something strange, you aren't going to break it.

Besides, real men use HPFS :)
midgleyne-p40

Post by midgleyne-p40 »

The Earl wrote:NTFS drivers have been included with the linux kernel source for a couple of years. They are marked as experimental, and are not included in binary form on most distributions. If you compile your kernel / modules, and select the EXPERIMENTAL flag, you should see read / write NTFS as a filesystem option on ALL linux distributions.

I have used NTFS with linux a few times without problems. I have not played with permissions or whatnot, but I haven't run into problems with them either. In my experience, 'EXPERIMENTAL', if included in the stable releases is much more stable than most 'beta' software from commercial companies. NOT so stable I would use it on a production system, but stable enough that unless you do something strange, you aren't going to break it.

Besides, real men use HPFS :)
ntfs-3g (http://ntfs-3g.org/) has been stable since February 2007, and continues to receive stable releases. Its 12+-year development continues to this day, and is both open and free. You don't have to recompile the kernel to enjoy its advantages, either. It's an impressive project well worth looking into for those who enjoy having multiple partitions. As for me, I've resorted to ext3.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

marianomarini_vi wrote:I posted elsewhere the same idea and now I find a forum for it. Great!
I'm interesting to an LDS/GNULinux distribution.
I tried to run PAF with Wine having bad results. Maybe working on it (Wine I mean) a little bit it's possible have more chance, but there is an Open Source project, GRAMPS, who works with LDS ordinances.
I know. All members know PAF, they are acquainted with, ecc. We can have ward classes on it.
It will be interesting build such a distribution.
Have some suggestions? (Sorry for my english, I'm an italian member).

I have found a fairly good Linux geneology program called FTree. It reads and write GEDCOM 5.5 files. The author has it compiled as a RPM as well as binary tarball. I am a Puppy LInux user and found the tarball easy to convert to the PET format Puppy uses. I have also installed the RPM on a Fedora 8 computer and had no problems.

Todd
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I gave a look at it and find it lacks LDS ordinances. So I think GRAMPS is still the best alternative to PAF.
Sorry, I looked at the screen shot and .. IT HAS! I'll give it a chance.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

marianomarini_vi wrote:...
I tried to run PAF with Wine having bad results. Maybe working on it (Wine I mean) a little bit it's possible have more chance, ...
Please note, the above quote is from February of 2008, over a year ago.

PAF works very well with several recent versions of Wine. At the moment, the built-in help window doesn't display. However development versions 1.1.6 through 1.1.11 ran PAF practically perfectly. There's a link to the AppDB page in an earlier post in this thread.
richardsontb

The rest of the world. . .

Post by richardsontb »

Though the United States doesn't seem to want to embrace Linux, I believe, that for our Church to become a truly worldwide church, we need to embrace it. Those reading this thread are the vanguard. Wine and Java are not the answer. Recompiling PAF for Linux would be. I would also throw in a version for Mac. Being that PAF is proprietary, this needs to be done by the Corporation. If the Corporation is unwilling to do this, one must expect the Linux users of the world to migrate to Ftree or GRAMPS.

Linux is the operating system of the rest of the world. The United States just hasn't realized it.

Todd
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

todd wrote:Though the United States doesn't seem to want to embrace Linux, I believe, that for our Church to become a truly worldwide church, we need to embrace it. Those reading this thread are the vanguard. Wine and Java are not the answer. Recompiling PAF for Linux would be. I would also throw in a version for Mac. Being that PAF is proprietary, this needs to be done by the Corporation. If the Corporation is unwilling to do this, one must expect the Linux users of the world to migrate to Ftree or GRAMPS.

Linux is the operating system of the rest of the world. The United States just hasn't realized it.

Todd
While I can't speak for the Church and it's interest in Linux, this article may be of interest to you in regards to the Future of PAF.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

todd wrote:Linux is the operating system of the rest of the world. The United States just hasn't realized it.
I don't see any merit to your claim whatsoever. Here is a chart showing the worldwide market share for operating systems:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operati ... px?qprid=8

Linux is not even 1% of the market. And here are the trends over the last year:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-mark ... px?qprid=9

I'm not really that surprised to see Mac taking away over 2% of the market from Microsoft (and then another half percent because of the iPhone). Linux's gain has been slow and steady, as it always is, with a fairly modest 0.2% gain.

This market share site allows you to exclude specific continents or countries, but it's like a $300 subscription. Wish I could have done farther research.

The only markets that I can think of that Linux is dominating or a real contender in are the Server market and the Government market. The Government idea came from this article:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8449

I just don't see Linux dominating any desktop or workstation market, even if you exclude the USA. In order for you to claim that "Linux is the operating system of the rest of the world," it would have to dominate the market. I'm sorry, it just doesn't. Microsoft has had a stranglehold on the market forever, and it will take a while for Microsoft to finally be challenged. I think it's starting to happen, but at the current trend, it will take 20-30 years to be knocked off the #1 spot. I will concede that the current trend could become more drastic as time goes by.

For now, Microsoft's 2 desktop operating systems (XP followed by Vista) are dominating the worldwide market:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-th ... 1621.shtml
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

There are two markets. In the PC market, Microsoft "Rocks". I love Microsoft. In the sub-PC market, however, Linux is shinning. What do I mean by sub-PC? Netbooks are a good example. The only Microsoft product that can run on their limited resources is Windows XP. This is true whether you look at Dell, Acer or Asus. How many people in South America, Africa and India actually have computers. These are the people we are baptizing. These people will not be using PC's; they will be using netbooks or other more economical devices; they will be using Linux.

Todd

P.S.: When I correspond with Church leaders in Mexico and Peru, half the time they aren't using Microsoft or Linux; they are using Blackberry.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

todd wrote:These people will not be using PC's; they will be using netbooks or other more economical devices; they will be using Linux. [...] When I correspond with Church leaders in Mexico and Peru, half the time they aren't using Microsoft or Linux; they are using Blackberry.
I believe the success of netbooks is reflective of the movement away from the PC toward the browser. It seems clear to me that our success in that area of the church is going to less about embracing Linux, but about embracing whatever those people use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”