LDS Linux

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
richardsontb

LDS Linux

Post by richardsontb »

Believe it or not, I have looked up the domains ldsos.org, ldsos.net and ldsos.com and they are owned by a gentleman in the Provo area. However, I believe an LDS version of Linux is a good idea. I have been part of the Puppy Linux community for about a year and, during this time, have maintained my own dirivitive. My current version can be found at http://www.ipup.info. iPup stands for "Institutional Puplet" (a puplet being a dirivitive work based on Puppy). Puppy is unique, in that it not only can as a "live" CD or be loaded on to a USB flash drive (booting directly from the flash drive), but it saves all changes that are made (settings, programs, etc.). It seems that such a distribution would work well for Wards and Stakes. Such a distribution could be used for geneology, ward finances and records, etc.

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What would you envision being unique about a lds linux as opposed to the other flavors of linux there? I can see a unique package, but what would be different about the OS itself?
richardsontb

LDS Linux

Post by richardsontb »

Building a distribution from source would not necessarily be a requirement. It should, however, be small enough to fit on one CD. As well, it should have PAF and other important LDS software. It should have LDS themed wallpaper and lds.org as it's browser homepage. It's software should be vetted so as not to include anything of questionable origin. It should have it's own forum.

Todd
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd up it to fit on one DVD. 700MB is a kinda tight to handle the OS, MLS, Java (required by MLS), OpenOffice, PAF, Acrobat Reader, Scriptures, web browser, etc and still have space for future expansion.

Clerk computers are currently on a 5-year replacement, so a drive that will read DVDs is not unreasonable.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I think that he wanted this as a viable OS for members of the church to use, so MLS wouldn't be necessary, but Java would because you could include the extraction program and possibly nFS client. Also filters could be installed, and other church software previously mentioned.

And yes most members have DVD drives so being on a bootable DVD would be great, now how would we store information since most Live Disks just store docs and everything on a Ram Disk which might confuse people as to why their documents just disappear.

Linux still needs work on writing to NTFS (it can read just fine) and that is what most people have their hard drives formatted as.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:I think that he wanted this as a viable OS for members of the church to use, so MLS wouldn't be necessary...
Are you implying that the functionality of MLS would be built into the OS itself, and not in a stand-alone application?
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Also, how are we supposing these apps are going to run under Linux? Are we talking some Windows Emulator? Or are we talking about a rewrite of MLS and PAF?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

MLS is a java program similar to the indexing program.
PAF, on the other hand, would require a emulator but I think that the nFS client would be adaquate.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

mkmurray wrote:Are you implying that the functionality of MLS would be built into the OS itself, and not in a stand-alone application?

Either way how many members need a running copy of MLS at home. And since I am assuming the target of this OS was for normal members even having MLS would just be a space filler.
- David
brado426

Post by brado426 »

thedqs wrote:MLS is a java program similar to the indexing program.
PAF, on the other hand, would require a emulator but I think that the nFS client would be adaquate.

Ah.... I wasn't aware of that.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”