Text (SMS) Messaging at the Church

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:It's the same thing with Verizon. You pay as you go or else pay the $5/month to have unlimited texting.
I'm also on Verizon. I think it's something like 5¢ to receive and 10¢ to send. I know Verizon used to have a $5 unlimited, but last I looked, I couldn't find it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cognifloyd

YSA texting

Post by cognifloyd »

For my YSA Region (I'm a co-chair on the regional YSA committee), I've set up a google voice (GV) account. I use that to send mass texts (for free) about upcoming activities.

When someone wants to receive texts about the monthly regional activities (ie two texts per month, the week before, and the day of), they text "Activities" to the GV number that we are putting on our flyers.

When GV gets the text, its forwarded as an email to the associated gmail account.
In gmail I have a filter setup that automatically labels the message as "activities" (or as "stop" if they asked to be removed).
I go through each of the emails and add them to the activities group in my contacts list. Once I do that, I reply back saying basically, "ok, you are set up to receive texts about region activities - text stop to cancel".

To send out the mass text, I compose an email with the "activities" group of contacts in the TO field. I make the msg is under 160 characters (people hate getting lengthy texts, or multiple texts), and then I send it.

I always append " - Text STOP to cancel" to each message.

With this system, I have no idea who is subscribed. The only thing I can see is that such and such a phone number subscribed.
shanebankhead

Post by shanebankhead »

Surely any kind of church-maintained text messaging program or database would be on an "opt-in" basis. So I don't think concerns about cost, or people receiving unwanted texts would be an issue.
root-p40

Post by root-p40 »

dkjorgi wrote:Are you saying that there are mobile phone plans where it cost you to receive messages too?
This is standard for the US, the only place where you pay for incoming calls and incoming texts.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

root wrote:This is standard for the US, the only place where you pay for incoming calls and incoming texts.
Thanks, I didnt know plans like that existed.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

techgurufloyd wrote:For my YSA Region (I'm a co-chair on the regional YSA committee), I've set up a google voice (GV) account. I use that to send mass texts (for free) about upcoming activities.

When someone wants to receive texts about the monthly regional activities (ie two texts per month, the week before, and the day of), they text "Activities" to the GV number that we are putting on our flyers.

When GV gets the text, its forwarded as an email to the associated gmail account.
In gmail I have a filter setup that automatically labels the message as "activities" (or as "stop" if they asked to be removed).
I go through each of the emails and add them to the activities group in my contacts list. Once I do that, I reply back saying basically, "ok, you are set up to receive texts about region activities - text stop to cancel".

To send out the mass text, I compose an email with the "activities" group of contacts in the TO field. I make the msg is under 160 characters (people hate getting lengthy texts, or multiple texts), and then I send it.

I always append " - Text STOP to cancel" to each message.

With this system, I have no idea who is subscribed. The only thing I can see is that such and such a phone number subscribed.
Wow. You've got s system! And for YSA's who are text friendly it probably is immediate and very effective. So, can you estimate a percentage, based on "such and such a phone number" of how many people out of your total potential membership is actually subscribed-those using your "system?" I know you probably can't "count" because you don't know whose phone number belongs to who...
heyring

LUWS SMS Messaging

Post by heyring »

I can definitely see the value of being able to send a mass text message to all subscribed members of the ward, or Auxiliaries with one simple text message.

Something like sendding a message to the Elder's Quorum Group that says "Service Opportinuty - Jone's need help moving at 7:00am tomorrow morning"
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

I have used and i know that there are many wards/stakes that have contacted the company that is helping with the Newsroom text service on lds.org and are using them. We use texting in our ward a fair amount. Mainly in communication with the youth as has been mentioned before in this thread. I know that I get faster responses from them when I text as apposed to calling and leaving a voice mail. If you want contact info PM me.
Troy
ddunn68

Re: Text (SMS) Messaging at the Church

Post by ddunn68 »

I'm wondering if there's has been any direction given by the church about the appropriateness of adult youth leaders sending direct text messages to youth without parental consent. Anyone here heard anything good, bad or ugly about this kind of thing?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Text (SMS) Messaging at the Church

Post by sbradshaw »

ddunn68 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:49 pm I'm wondering if there's has been any direction given by the church about the appropriateness of adult youth leaders sending direct text messages to youth without parental consent. Anyone here heard anything good, bad or ugly about this kind of thing?
General Handbook 10.8.1 (Young Men) and 11.6.1 (Young Women) says "When adults are interacting with youth in Church settings, at least two responsible adults should be present." This could be interpreted narrowly to mean when interacting in person, but I think it's wise for adult leaders to follow this guideline for all interactions with youth, except for authorized exceptions (the only two I'm aware of are ministering companions (21.2.2) and biannual meetings with a member of the bishopric (31.3.1)).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”