Church Logo: Use and Protection

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
User avatar
MorettiDP
Member
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:15 pm
Location: São Carlos, São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Church Logo: Use and Protection

Postby MorettiDP » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:21 am

I understand the needs to protect the Church Logo and other Church Trademarks, Copyrights, Marks, Patents, etc. But I believe that we need more access to the correct Church logo.
In my ward and stake, members are called to make bulletins and newspapers. Wards produce envelopes and office papers and letters to use in many programs and services. All of these products don't present the Church logo correctly.
I can see these documents with bad copies of Church logos. Brazil Ribeirão Preto Mission, Campinas Brazil Temple and Area offices like Distribution Services for Brazil South Area uses corrupt versions of Church Logo to your documents and pieces. The MLS Brazilian Portuguese translation presents a not-formatted version of the Logo.

I believe that the Church units need help protect the logo use, but to protect the logo isn't needed proibited the logo's use. I am contacted the Copyrights and Permitions Office months ago to ask to have a copy of the font of Church logo or good cdr or jpeg copies of the logo in multiple languages to use, but I do not received a response.

The Church can produce a Mark Use Handbook and turn an intranet site with access to the logos, etc.? I ask it here because the primary logo usage for me is to produce technologic related materials, like computer prints, computer generated images, printed marerials produced on computer (like bulletins), etc.

Thanks for your support!
_____________________
Sorry for the bad English!
MorettiDP
São Carlos Brazil Stake Technology Specialist

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:30 pm

MorettiDP wrote:I understand the needs to protect the Church Logo and other Church Trademarks, Copyrights, Marks, Patents, etc. But I believe that we need more access to the correct Church logo.
In my ward and stake, members are called to make bulletins and newspapers. Wards produce envelopes and office papers and letters to use in many programs and services. All of these products don't present the Church logo correctly.
I can see these documents with bad copies of Church logos. Brazil Ribeirão Preto Mission, Campinas Brazil Temple and Area offices like Distribution Services for Brazil South Area uses corrupt versions of Church Logo to your documents and pieces. The MLS Brazilian Portuguese translation presents a not-formatted version of the Logo.

I believe that the Church units need help protect the logo use, but to protect the logo isn't needed proibited the logo's use. I am contacted the Copyrights and Permitions Office months ago to ask to have a copy of the font of Church logo or good cdr or jpeg copies of the logo in multiple languages to use, but I do not received a response.

The Church can produce a Mark Use Handbook and turn an intranet site with access to the logos, etc.? I ask it here because the primary logo usage for me is to produce technologic related materials, like computer prints, computer generated images, printed marerials produced on computer (like bulletins), etc.

Thanks for your support!
_____________________
Sorry for the bad English!

I understand your concern and will forward it on to the Intellectual property department.

Tom

ajerome-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 9:10 am

Church Trademark Use Handbook

Postby ajerome-p40 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:37 am

If I may also chime in on the idea of a Church Trademark Use Handbook...

I wish I could recall better a (GA) talk given a couple years ago that encouraged members to place links on their web pages to the official Church sites. Since I cannot site this talk exactly, I'll just say that I took it to heart.

I maintain several web sites and, where appropriate, I do my best to recommend (or even blind-link) various of the Official Church web sites. The best example is www.pseudepigrapha.com, which provides blind links to the Churches great scripture pages.

(The idea is not to classify the scriptures as pseudepigrapha, but to introduce my visitors to the Church site where there might be an interest in the Book of Mormon, D&C, PofGP, and answer questions about religion and God in general from my LDS perspective such as defining the terms "pseudepigrapha" and "Apocrypha").

The blind-links to the Official Church web pages are not a problem for me (and I assume that they are not a problem for the Church).

However, I also have a named link to www.lds.org. This link (instead of a well-designed, identifiable, graphic), is displayed on my page as the bulky text "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". Bulky, as not to pretend to try to mimic the official Church logo.

I wish the Church would find a way to allow me to use some sort of recognizable "Church authorized" graphic I can use instead of my bulky text approach.

Perhaps the Church could come up with graphic/logo specific to this need, and a handbook (and/or agreement) which specifies how the logo may be used?

Best wishes;
-Adam Jerome

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Thu May 03, 2007 10:27 am

ajerome wrote:I wish the Church would find a way to allow me to use some sort of recognizable "Church authorized" graphic I can use instead of my bulky text approach.

Perhaps the Church could come up with graphic/logo specific to this need, and a handbook (and/or agreement) which specifies how the logo may be used?

I would think the graphic needs to be clear that it is intended to be a link to the official Church site, and not that the presence of the graphic states that the hosting site is an official Church site. Something like "Click here for the official site of ..." instead of just the Church's logo.

mprusse
Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: Littleton, CO-USA
Contact:

Postby mprusse » Sun May 13, 2007 6:12 am

MorettiDP wrote:I understand the needs to protect the Church Logo and other Church Trademarks, Copyrights, Marks, Patents, etc. But I believe that we need more access to the correct Church logo.
In my ward and stake, members are called to make bulletins and newspapers. Wards produce envelopes and office papers and letters to use in many programs and services. All of these products don't present the Church logo correctly.
I can see these documents with bad copies of Church logos. Brazil Ribeirão Preto Mission, Campinas Brazil Temple and Area offices like Distribution Services for Brazil South Area uses corrupt versions of Church Logo to your documents and pieces. The MLS Brazilian Portuguese translation presents a not-formatted version of the Logo.

I believe that the Church units need help protect the logo use, but to protect the logo isn't needed proibited the logo's use. I am contacted the Copyrights and Permitions Office months ago to ask to have a copy of the font of Church logo or good cdr or jpeg copies of the logo in multiple languages to use, but I do not received a response.

The Church can produce a Mark Use Handbook and turn an intranet site with access to the logos, etc.? I ask it here because the primary logo usage for me is to produce technologic related materials, like computer prints, computer generated images, printed marerials produced on computer (like bulletins), etc.

Thanks for your support!
_____________________
Sorry for the bad English!


The Church does produce this information. It is entitled "Church Name and Logotype Guidelines for Local Units", item no. 35654. This document, under a letter from Elder Boyd K. Packer, includes the following information:

Philosophy of the Church Logotype, Acceptable Uses of the Church's Name, Acceptable & Unacceptable Uses of the Church's Logotype, examples of each and a page of logotypes.

You may order copies of this document (35654; no charge) from your local Church distribution center. Our copy came when we organized a new ward as part of all of the new ward materials sent.

tyhatch
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Clearfield, UT
Contact:

What about electronic files?

Postby tyhatch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Such as an EPS? Even a hi-res TIF would be nice... Not that most individuals making ward bulletins every Sunday would be saavy enough to take advantage of it.

Being a professional Designer, that's what I'd ask my clients for. With an organization the size of the Church, having a resource like this available would fit nicely into the Newsroom's Background Information section with the appropriate brand guidelines.

User avatar
bhofmann-p40
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Contact:

Postby bhofmann-p40 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:24 pm

tyhatch wrote:Such as an EPS? Even a hi-res TIF would be nice... Not that most individuals making ward bulletins every Sunday would be saavy enough to take advantage of it.

Being a professional Designer, that's what I'd ask my clients for. With an organization the size of the Church, having a resource like this available would fit nicely into the Newsroom's Background Information section with the appropriate brand guidelines.


I agree with the request for a digital image. In addition to TIF and EPS a plain old JPG would be simple enough for most non-designers.

emckirdy
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:53 pm
Location: Salem, OR
Contact:

Postby emckirdy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:50 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for access to the church logo on official documents. Usage of low-quality logos happens quite frequently in this state, in newspaper ads promoting community events, printed programs for sacrament meetings, firesides, community concerts, stake music concerts, etc.

Recently, our stake teamed up with three other local churches to put on a combined community concert of American hymns and folk music, and guess which church was the only one with a 72 dpi jpeg on the cover, up against lovely EPS files?

Yup, that's right. Ours.

mprusse
Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: Littleton, CO-USA
Contact:

Electronic versions are available

Postby mprusse » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:30 pm

tyhatch wrote:Such as an EPS? Even a hi-res TIF would be nice... Not that most individuals making ward bulletins every Sunday would be saavy enough to take advantage of it.

Being a professional Designer, that's what I'd ask my clients for. With an organization the size of the Church, having a resource like this available would fit nicely into the Newsroom's Background Information section with the appropriate brand guidelines.


I quote from the December 11, 2000 letter entitled "Church Name and Logotype Guidelines for Local Units".

"Local units may use the Church logotype only on publications and materials they officially sponsor. To use the logotype, cut out copies from the sheet enclosed with printed versions of these guidelines. Additional sheets may be ordered from your local distribution center. The logotype is also available electronically on a 3.5" pc-formatted disk (saved as a Windows® metafile [.wmf] and as an Adobe Illustrator® eps [ai.eps] file)."

I have not yet attempted to request the electronic version but will do so soon. I just hope they can email it to me as I no longer have a floppy drive. And as a Macintosh user I would prefer it in an eps version.

Ottawa Ward-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:19 am

Postby Ottawa Ward-p40 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:14 am

I could use the Logo as well


Return to “Other Member Technologies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest