MLS -> Outlook + photos -> Blackberry?

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

Alan_Brown wrote:Note that The Earl said "in my case." It's not accurate to then conclude that "that puts Blackberry users generally in the same boat...".

Many Blackberry users can choose to use the Blackberry Desktop to synchronize with Outlook (or similar apps), and never involve third-party servers. If they are required to sync with a corporate server, they might not have that option, but users who simply sync at home with Outlook can do so without violating policy.
I did specify 'in my case', but blackberry users connected to a Blackberry Enterprise Server are in the same boat unless they disable the automatic contact sync. I cannot find a way to mark contacts on my phone so that it does not get replicated back to the corporate mail system.

Alan's later statement about non-BES users is correct.

Thanks
The Earl
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:
Many Blackberry users can choose to use the Blackberry Desktop to synchronize with Outlook (or similar apps), and never involve third-party servers. If they are required to sync with a corporate server, they might not have that option, but users who simply sync at home with Outlook can do so without violating policy.

You're right. I overgeneralized. It would depend on the user's situation. Only some subset of Blackberry users, such as The Earl, would have a policy problem. I do believe a substantial part of Blackberry's market share is in the corporate world. The tight integration with institutional servers is why corporate IT departments like the platform. Lots of Blackberry devices out there are not even personally owned, but employer-owned.

It may be that there will be future solutions for the other platforms I mentioned (Android and Palm Pre) that avoid syncing to a third-party server. In the long run, their users also may have options to avoid that.
The_Earl

Smart Phone Address books

Post by The_Earl »

boomerbubba wrote:That puts Blackberry users generally in the same boat as users of Android and Palm Pre smartphones, which also upload their contacts to third-party servers. This practice would seem to violate the policy guidance provided on this forum.
I have not found a smart phone yet that is good about keeping personal and company data separate. The best I have found is the gmail app for blackberry. If you turn off the syncing of the address book, gmail will still look up email addresses stored in google, but those people don't show up in your address book.

I think any attempt to integrate a ward list onto a smart phone that is syncing corporate contacts is going to be problematic. I think we need separate applications, or sophisticated masking in the built in address books. I think a separate app is more likely, but I have not found a standalone address book for blackberry.

Thanks
The Earl
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

The Earl wrote:I have not found a smart phone yet that is good about keeping personal and company data separate. The best I have found is the gmail app for blackberry. If you turn off the syncing of the address book, gmail will still look up email addresses stored in google, but those people don't show up in your address book.

The problem with Gmail contacts is that it is apparently forbidden for church purposes -- as far as importing contacts exported from MLS or LUWS goes.

I am a Gmail/Android user, and I very much like the syncing of data for all my ordinary contacts. Gmail does support different contact groups, which can be very useful for separately managing contacts for personal/business/church/family etc. But managing that is best done from the Gmail web interface, which requires all the contacts to be on Google's server.

It is possible to select only certain groups for syncing to an Android phone. What is lacking is the ability to manage all that directly on my Android -- import contacts directly and immediately assign them to a group. The out-of-the-box Contacts app doesn't allow that. But the hooks are there for a third-party developer to build such an app. I like to think that one is in the works.

I have no feel for how open the Blackberry platform is to such custom development.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I thought one of the strengths of the Palm Pre is that it would work with separate contact lists. However, it's backup feature is problematic.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bstein

.csv -> Outlook?

Post by bstein »

The Earl wrote:Blackberry has a number of ways to load data:
Blackberry Desktop: Desktop application that can sync mail CLIENT programs like OUTLOOK to the blackberry handheld over a USB or Bluetooth connection. Free. Syncs calendar, contacts etc.
Thanks for the tips! It sounds like Blackberry Desktop is the way I will try, when I get there... but first, even before dealing with the dilemma of photos, I need contacts in Outlook to sync! My attempts so far at this have failed triumphantly. So...

* How do you import a .csv into Outlook along with its custom fields (from a custom report in MLS)?

* There aren't enough fields provided to map to when importing (an .xls)?

* Perhaps somebody could tweak http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_v2.html ?

* mkmurray: in the vCard project, will it be possible to scrape a local folder for photos as well as the LUWS?

Thanks for your patience.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

ParticleMan wrote:* mkmurray: in the vCard project, will it be possible to scrape a local folder for photos as well as the LUWS?
Perhaps, it definitely wasn't on my personal roadmap. The one thing that could be a problem is that there wouldn't be enough meta data associated with the pictures to know which household they belong to. On LUWS, I match up the phone number, address, full names (all household members), and even email addresses (well maybe not email addresses) to be sure I have the right household vCard and the right photo. You could argue that names enough would be sufficient, but I'm not sure how comfortable with that little of matching criteria.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

ParticleMan wrote:... but first, even before dealing with the dilemma of photos, I need contacts in Outlook to sync! ... How do you import a .csv into Outlook along with its custom fields (from a custom report in MLS)?

As for the source data, I assume you would not use a custom report but one of the standard MLS export formats. See the wiki article. The first design question you have to answer from the bishopric is: Do they want a set of contacts structured as one record per member, or as one record per family? That will shape your choice of export file, and possibly require a little programming.

Regarding the software, I gather you are using Outlook, not Outlook Express? What version? Have you looked at the Microsoft articles here? I don't have much hands-on experience importing to Outlook, but clearly there is an interactive step where you have to map the fields in your csv file to the fields Outlook can handle.

As far as I can tell, Microsoft does not advertise that Outlook can "sync" such a data import derived from an external source. Rather, the user loads the records as a file and then deals with any duplicates, etc. This is a major challenge, because a given export from MLS typically will have additions, revisions and deletions compared to another export taken from MLS a week or so earlier.

I have been assuming that in the long run, you would be using a dedicated copy of Outlook -- likley on the clerk's PC -- to do this, rather that using some person's individual copy. That way, at least you don't have a problem comingling the MLS contacts with someone's personal contacts. Right?

In that case, the easiest way to do a batch update is just to delete everything and reimport all contacts anew from the MLS export file.

The problem is, that does not handle the photos, which of course will not be in the MLS export. In theory, some external application could be developed to do this, maintaining a persistent store of pictures that have been mapped with human verification to unique keys -- such as the "Indiv ID" or "HofH ID" data fields from the MLS export -- so the photos can be merged with the MLS records automatically.

From the research mkmurray has reported, I would venture to say that such a custom application could be written, loading vCard records into Outlook. (I don't blame him for being reluctant to volunteer, however. That is quite a bit of scope creep from the project he has described elsewhere.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ParticleMan wrote:How do you import a .csv into Outlook along with its custom fields (from a custom report in MLS)?
When importing a CSV into Outlook contacts, it helps tremendously if the field names in your CSV file match what Outlook is expecting. You can try to find the field names, but I have always found it easiest to just do a quick export from Outlook, then examine the names.

As you edit the CSV file produced by MLS (either an export, or saved from a custom report), the names won't match. So you would change "Preferred Name" to "Name" and "Phone 1" to "Home Phone", etc. Then you don't have to go through the tedious process of mapping fields each time -- you can just save the modified header row with the Outlook field names and then reuse it and paste it on top of the header row each time you export from MLS.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

I haven't done any VBA programming with Outlook for years, but after perusing Microsoft's documentation for Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007, it looks like it would be pretty straightforward to write code to add pictures to Outlook contacts after all the other fields are imported.

A more time consuming task would be building a database application to store links to all the photos by some unique key in the the MLS export data, such as the "Indiv ID" or "HofH ID" element. One could take shortcuts on the user interface and just manually create the picture filenames using the unique key or maintain a spreadsheet -- similar at an abstract level to the scripts here-- but that would make it more error-prone and harder to hand off the process to end users.

In any case, this process still would not be out-of-the-box, end-to-end, automated syncing, which seems to be the bishopric's expectation here.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”